Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Service free 88's

BluesKeys

I am in the market for a new 88 wieghted keyboard.

I need to have strong sounds in Accoustic and EP Pianos, and would like other natural sounds but could live without. I mainly need one that is trouble free. I tend to play 88 controlers with the same force as I do my K.Kawai grand piano and have replaced the key bed of my Ensonic 32 (Fatar bed).

I would like to find a keyboard that will take the abuse of giging every weekend.

I have played the following

Korg Triton- wasn't impressed with EP's

Yamaha S90- Liked the sounds, action a little different. Already own a Motif6, which has the same sounds. :(

Kurzwiel PC2- really liked the sounds and the action, but worried that it will give problems, i.e. key bed and electronics. Tech in my area sees more problems with Kurzwiel than any other mfr.

Roland RD700- action OK not thrilled with the "thunk" of accoustic piano in upper register.

Anybody have experience with any of these keyboards? Or any suggestions for other alternatives.

Jim the dream

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few you haven't mentioned:

- Kawai M9000 or 9500 (or is it MP? Sorry, can't remember)

- Yamaha P120 or P250

- GeneralMusic ProMega 3 or ProMega 2

All have strong piano and EP sounds, and firm keyboard action. The Kawais weight a ton, but their action is excellent (I somewhat prefer the one in the older 9000). The same can be said for the Yamaha P250, which also have a very good sound system onboard.

The P120 is very light, and also have two rather small speakers and stereo amp. I quite like its action. A similar (though not identical) model without speakers is the P90.

The ProMegas have really excellent action and piano sound, the only difference between them, I believe, is that the 2 has less auxiliary sounds; the 3 also have motorized faders (!) and it's much fun to play. Only problem is, I'm told they're not widely distributed in the USA.

Keep in mind that all these instruments specialize in piano, with a bunch of other sounds (usually EPs, strings, vibes, basses...) to accompany the main course. I would consider getting one of these, plus a little module like the Kurzweil MicroEnsemble or a Roland half-rack, for more sounds.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply's. I have not looked at the P250 or the P12o or ever seen a Kawai M9000/9500. The Kawai must be a home unit. Are the Yamaha's current makes or older models? And could I find an older model?

I really wanted the Kurzweil until I found out the service problems.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by dream:

Thanks for the reply's. I have not looked at the P250 or the P12o or ever seen a Kawai M9000/9500. The Kawai must be a home unit. Are the Yamaha's current makes or older models? And could I find an older model?

I really wanted the Kurzweil until I found out the service problems.

The Kawais are not home units - they don't have a built-in sound system, nor a stand. They weight so much because Kawai put a kind of real grand piano action into them, with long levers and a simulation of the hammer mechanism. I really like their action.

The Yamaha P90, P120 and P250 are all current models AFAIK, as is the lower-end P60, with a worse action and worse sounds. Slightly older is the P80 (similar action to P120, but much less memory for sounds. Even older are the P200 and PF-P100.

I don't know about Kurzweil service problems - but I love the PC2. :)

Prague, How long have you had the PC2? Have you ever broken keys on a Keyboard? I am a hard player sometimes, though I have calmed down with age,I still find myself pounding my rig. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks for the input folks. I now have a mission to find the Kawai's and Yama's for a test run. O'boy, I just love the hunt for new gear. To bad I only do it about every 10 years or more.

Jim the dream

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I've had the Kurz for about a year. A number of other players have used it (officially, I'm the bass player). I've never broken a key on any keyboard, though. My Arp Quartet still works great.

There is a fulcrum (tab or post) that is located about 3/5 of the key length from the rear fulcrum. This pushes on the counter-weight for the weighted action. Perhaps this is the potential breakage. I dunno. It seems strong enough to me.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

Marino,

The P60, P90, P120, P250, PF500 and PF1000 all share the same key action.

Ooops! Thanks Mike. I have played the P60 for just a few minutes, while shopping digital pianos for a student of mine. The salesman from the store told me that the action was a cheaper one than the P120, and since I didn't really like the sound, I didn't bother any further with it, and managed to get a good price on the P120 for my student. Sorry about the incorrect info.

Archived