Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Still looking for keyboard combo amp

tarkus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give these a look: Barbetta Sona 41

You can get them as an active PA or as a Combo Amplifier.

If you can wait, the Sona 53 will be out soon which will have 12" Woofers. If you want 15" the Sona SE-32 would be a good choice. Again, if you can wait a while the Sona 44 will be out soon which will have a 15" Woofer in a bigger cabinet with a bigger Horn plus more power.

Happy shopping in whatever you decide to get! :thu:

Mike

Mike

IMHO there is no keyboard amp currently that can compare to the Motion Sound KP-200s. The only thing that can compare to it, and beat it sound-wise, is a full stereo PA system with either JBL EONs or Mackie powered speakers (and maybe others but I've played through JBL's and Mackies and know they'll sound great). Even though a full PA sounds better, the KP-200s is a heck of a lot more convenient... real plug & play. The stereo sound makes a world of difference and I'm spoiled and could never go back to a mono keyboard amp.

I haven't heard of anyone buying a KP-200s and not loving it. I like mine so much that I also bought the smaller KP-100s for intimate quiet gigs, and I like it for that purpose but it doesn't have the bass response that the KP-200s has so I don't recommend it as highly as I do the KP-200s.

I agree with The Pro. I play my Yamaha S90 through a pair of Samson Resolv 80a powered studio monitors. After months of trying out most popular mono amps (including Motion Sound), I was convinced that nothing matched the sound quality obtained only with stereo output (you can find numerous threads on this topic on many forums).

Consequently, when I play out, it's with friends who have spare boards connected to PA systems with Mackies, JBL Eons, Samsons, etc, to get the pure sound that only stereo delivers.

I've been using a pair of Motion Sound KT80s for a couple of years and this is the perfect rig for me. I love to play in stereo and I can get a good separation by placing an amp on each side, tilted up at my head. These amps weigh 28 lbs each and there are other benefits - the ability to use just one if there is less stage room, always have a backup amp if one dies, easier load in and packing in the vehicle, etc.

Regards,

Eric

Correction to what I wrote earlier. Motion Sound stereo amps are quality units, and definitely a step up from mono. But IMO, even these don't provide the same quality of sound that can only be obtained by physically separating two speakers instead of combining both in the same cabinet. Sounds like Eric's got a great setup with his pair of KT80's.

Originally posted by eric:

I've been using a pair of Motion Sound KT80s for a couple of years and this is the perfect rig for me. I love to play in stereo and I can get a good separation by placing an amp on each side, tilted up at my head. These amps weigh 28 lbs each and there are other benefits - the ability to use just one if there is less stage room, always have a backup amp if one dies, easier load in and packing in the vehicle, etc.

Regards,

Eric

I second this choice. I took Eric's advice about 6 months ago and hooked myself up a this pair of KT80s and have not regretted it.

It's kind of like a KP200s in that:

* you have 100W per channel (L/R)

* you have the same quality horns and eminence woofers

The difference is of course, 2 amps, but they're very lightweight and streamlined. Also, you get a 12" speaker in each instead of running two 10" speakers as in the KP200. I played one gig thru 2 JBL EON 15s that were provided backline, and I hated the sound compared to the KTs. One thing with the KTs, you will probably want to boost the bass a bit, unless you have them sitting on the floor and angled up. I like mine to be raised up and tilted slightly, so I need to boost the bass response.

Great-sounding units, tho, I think. The Kurweil PC pianos and pads sound great thru the hi-fi channel, and the Nord EPs and organs get even beefier thru the toob channel ... :cool:

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

After reading a lot about motion sound, I bought a 200s stereo amp a few months ago. I have to admit that I feel a bit disappointed after hearing all the ravings about it in this forum. My synths and organ sounds are fine through it, but the piano is a major disappointment. The built-in speakers on it which are 2-16cm and 2- 5cm actually have a much better presence than the 200s. I've tried different EQ on it, but it doesn't seem to help much. Then again, I'm not exactly proficient with EQ. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :(

Yannis - Thanks for putting me on the Motion Sound path - I am still on the fence and some funds need to be freed up for the total package.

Thanks Eric! That looks like a good and affordable alternative. I was hoping for feedback on the Carvin but silence may be an omission of truth in this instance.

I have a Behringer mixer from when I used to own a mono PA. I would love to get true stereo via PA but I am a bit intimidated by the prices of powered stereo pa units. Any suggestions on a good stereo PA for the three boards? I am looking to be a bit compact but not tiny. I don't want to leave a stone unturned. I will be getting the Triton Extreme 76 in a few weeks as well as an Alesis Ion.

Originally posted by Steve in KS:

After reading a lot about motion sound, I bought a 200s stereo amp a few months ago. I have to admit that I feel a bit disappointed after hearing all the ravings about it in this forum. My synths and organ sounds are fine through it, but the piano is a major disappointment. The built-in speakers on it which are 2-16cm and 2- 5cm actually have a much better presence than the 200s. I've tried different EQ on it, but it doesn't seem to help much. Then again, I'm not exactly proficient with EQ. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :(

Possibly - the Motion Sound KP-200s uses active EQ, which means that are boosting the frequencies when you go above "5" and you are cutting them when you go below "5". That's different from the way most of us think when we see a control knob that goes from 1-10 (it really should say -5 to +5). I had to work with the mid-range control a good bit to get the sound I wanted, and I play piano predominantly.

Also there is a stereo "enhancer" control (a stereo phase reversal feature) that does make the sound seem like it's coming from a wider stereo field than it really is, and the effect carries beyond the stage. This is the same technology used in so-called "vocal eliminators", and it can have the effect of boosting unwanted frequencies and/or the reverb. The right touch "widens" the stereo sound but too much sounds like your rig is in a school gym a block away.

The KP-200s is not the perfect keyboard amp - I presonally wish it had parametric EQ for example - and yes a set of brand name powered speakers with a good mixer really do sound better. But the KP-200s still sounds better than any other keyboard amp I've ever heard, the stereo sound is convincing and makes a real difference over mono, and the KP-200s has a "click input" that does not get passed back out of the direct outputs - so the KP-200s can double as a vocal monitor (that handy little feature doesn't get mentioned as often as it should).

The KP-200s is a very practical and powerful tool that takes a little effort to get the sound you want.

Originally posted by tarkus:

I have a Behringer mixer from when I used to own a mono PA. I would love to get true stereo via PA but I am a bit intimidated by the prices of powered stereo pa units. Any suggestions on a good stereo PA for the three boards? I am looking to be a bit compact but not tiny. I don't want to leave a stone unturned. I will be getting the Triton Extreme 76 in a few weeks as well as an Alesis Ion.

No offense but we often get posts here that say things like "will my $300 PA work with my Triton?" and I think it's ridiculous to invest thousands of dollars in keyboards only to scrimp on the sound system that they will be heard through. You are buying some of the best keyboards available - I would spend some real money on what they will be heard through.

If you need a full PA anyway then don't scrimp on it - dress to impress. A quality PA will last you for many years with proper care and it'll make the right first impression. I prefer powered JBL EON's because Mackies have vented heat sinks in the back that need ventilation and I had one do a thermal shutdown on me when it was blocked in the rear. But both JBL's and EONs look/sound great to me. I'm a solo performer and it depends on the gig as to whether I use my EON's or my KP-200s or both.

If you're going to play in a band, I would recommend the KP-200s over a full PA just because it's compact, it has direct outs for the main mixer to use, and it's plenty loud. It works for me as a solo performer as well and it's something you could buy now at a reasonable price and then get a full PA later to go with it if you want.

I just bought a Roland KC350; it is much better than its predecessor, the KC300. I've only used it on 1 gig so far, a wedding that required lower volume. The amp sounds rich and full, the piano and strings from my S80 sounded great, and it's not too heavy! The tweeter sounds much smoother than that of the KC300. During the sound check, I pumped it up some, and it delivered the goods, bass-wise. With the stereo link feature, you can buy a 2nd KC, plug your instruments into the closest one, send a stereo cable to the second; like having a pair of speakers and a mixer. It is definitely worth checking out.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I have a Motion Sound KB-200 and it's the best stage amp I've owned in 35 yrs pro gigging. Check out the on-stage/connectivity features - there is NOTHING out there that matches it . My band members love it because the amp throws the sound to the other edge of the stage where (even) the lead guitar player can hear it.

One thing: there is no onboard reverb. This was not a problem until I picked up a Nord Electro 73 which has no reverb - so I use a NanoVerb for the time being until Clavia gets reverb into their OS due to popular demand.

BTW if anybody out there has a way of finding out if Clavia is working on that, give us a heads up.

I say go with the KB-200. You will NOT be sorry.

Here for the gear.

Great! A lot of high marks for the KP200s, I appreciate the info re- the lack of reverb and eq versatility. All can be compromised with outboard equipment etc..

I can appreciate the look at the PA - but most of my gigs I work with the house system, and my current key room is a little cramped.

If cash comes into my future - both will be suitable.

I'll let you all know what transpires.

A buddy who liked my Samson Resolv 80a powered studio monitors just bought a pair of Samson XP200 powered monitors. They're bi-amped, with 160 watts RMS to the 12" woofer and 40 watts RMS to the 1" tweeter. We hooked up his Roland RD600, and then tried them with my Yamaha S90.

While I can't say that the XP200's are quite in the same league as a more high-end unit like a JBL Eon or Mackie, at $299 apiece (average retail) they're a great bargain imo. A bit too bright sometimes on the highs, but the low end is clean, powerful and has great punch (especially useful for tonewheel organ in the lower registers). We had no trouble keeping up with a pair of guitarists, a bass player and a drummer. I'd strongly consider these for playing out.

Archived