Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need new live key rig--any opinions?

Anomaly

It's time to dig deep in my pocket again for a new performance rig. I play 99% Piano and Organ, so that's what I'm looking at. As it stands, I'm probably going to go with a P 250 for the piano and an XK3 for the organ. Is there anything else out there anyone thinks I should look at before taking the plunge?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anomaly:

Is there anything else out there anyone thinks I should look at before taking the plunge?

You wouldn't have to dig so deep into your pockets if you were to get a Roland VR-760 which is now called the VR-Combo. It has good Piano sounds and the Organs are really good too IMO. Save some bucks and have an all in one Axe. Plus there are several other sounds on the VR-Combo that are very good also. Like the Elec. Pianos for a start.
Mike

Will the XK3 rest on top of the the P250, or do you need a double tiered stand? I currently practice with an old Roland RD300 with a Hammond XB2 on top, and it is my favorite configuration because of the space between manuals. The P250 is pretty good sized, I know that it has the internal speakers that are on top. Just pondering because if you use just piano and organ you will not need the larger stand which makes playing the two keyboards feel unnatural to me.

I would also suggest picking up a speakeasy preamp. I personally like the sound of acoustic piano through the "keyboard" configuration.

Originally posted by steinwaym:

[QB]Will the XK3 rest on top of the the P250, or do you need a double tiered stand?

QB]

Hmm...good point. I hadn't thought about the prospects of being able to lay the XK3 right on top of the P250. I could probably do that by revamping the 2nd tier arms to only support the back of the XK, bringing the keyboards muck closer together. That would be nice indeed.

I often play piano and organ simultaneously, so that would be beneficial.

I sometimes do a very quiet dinner gig and that was one of my reasons behind going with the internal speakers. I use a pair of 450 Mackies for concerts, but am considering going with the Bose L1's. We bought one to try and love it, but I still miss the stereo imaging, I would have to have two of them.

What is the speakeasy? I honestly don't have time to stay up on all the new stuff, so pardon my ignorance.

Have you looked at thr Roland RD-700? Pianos are a personal thing, so I think it's dangerous to recomend a piano. That said, I really enjoy mine. It is pretty heavy, but I like the piano, rhodes, wurlie, strings, and pads. The organ sounds pretty good, but it doesn't feel right with weighted keys.
David

Originally posted by steinwaym:

[QB]Will the XK3 rest on top of the the P250, or do you need a double tiered stand?

QB]

Hmm...good point. I hadn't thought about the prospects of being able to lay the XK3 right on top of the P250. I could probably do that by revamping the 2nd tier arms to only support the back of the XK, bringing the keyboards muck closer together. That would be nice indeed.

I often play piano and organ simultaneously, so that would be beneficial.

The XK3 would rest nicely on top of a P-250. With an RD-700 you wlii need a 2-tier stand. However, the RD is considerably lighter... Personally, I prefer the P-250, but that´s just an opinion. Check both of them out, ergonomically as well as sound wise!

/J :D nas

It's time to dig deep in my pocket again for a new performance rig. I play 99% Piano and Organ, so that's what I'm looking at. As it stands, I'm probably going to go with a P 250 for the piano and an XK3 for the organ. Is there anything else out there anyone thinks I should look at before taking the plunge?

I'd suggest you also put P120 on your list of digital pianos to check out. And for organ, Korg CX3 (new one).

It depends on your tastes and requirements, though.

Archived