Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Comments & Critique on Comp 7/8

M Peasley

I'm guessing the bulk of the purchasers will have their CDs by mailtime today, so I'll kick off a thread for posting comments, critiques, and kudos.

First - Thanks so much for the work, Dave and all others involved.

My first impressions on my first close listen to all the tunes are:

- the overall quality of the mixes is a lot better than I expected from a group with so many bedroom studios.

- a lot more fusion and softer jazz tunes than I would have expected. Maybe the "keyboard" emphasis brought out the players. Not many singer/songwriters.

- the tracks that stick out on my first go-round are:

- - Porcupine Feet: some really good playing here

- - Centinela: you go Gus!

- - Selena Walks: what a pleasant surprise to get this poignant orchestrated piece from the drunken master! I was sure it would be 4*4 down on the floor. Good work.

- - The Circus: ok, we all hear the older Genesis or other progrock influence here. I like the unusual quality of the singer's voice and the way the tune changes and develops as it goes.

- - Wonderful High: one of the best mixes in the bunch.

Hearing all these mixes side-by-side is illuminating. For example, my piece (Arc of Perception) sounds a bit muddy and boomy next to many of the others. Also lower in overall level. Hey - turn my tune up when you get to it!

First pass general critiques:

- - hearing all the stuff side by side also makes some of the older gear/sounds very dated sounding. There are a few sampled pianos, pads, and drums that need updating, folks.

- - that most elusive quality of the passion of the soul is in hit-or-miss evidence in the overall compilation. Just like it is in all music, pro or otherwise.

- - a fair number of the jazzier tunes could use a bit more soul and swing for my taste. And hands off that quantize button!

- - in general the leads were a strong point, the percussion weaker.

But really, I can truly say that every artist is on to something in every tune. For a compilation that accepted all comers, I'm amazed that there is no dreck.

Keep making music!

M Peasley

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right but I was also very pressed for time on this one, besides, even if I wanted to quantize it properly I couldn't because the midi sync on my recording set-up wasn't working right yet

the one measure of quantizing I did do was done manually one note at a time

fwiw, if I'd had more time I would have submitted the tune I recorded a couple of weeks later:

"What?"

http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc

Originally posted by M Peasley:

- - hearing all the stuff side by side also makes some of the older gear/sounds very dated sounding. There are a few sampled pianos, pads, and drums that need updating, folks.

[/QB]

Why the hell do you think I bought the Mellotron library? I want to sound dated!! :D

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I just finished Volume 7 and I'd better take this one chunk at a time.

First, the sequencing is brilliant. Amazing job, dB.

Second, I'm honored to be included in this compilation. Wonderful work, all of you. A fine balance of chops and compositional skills. And damn nice recordings, too.

My only criticism, dB, is having my track follow "Shegar." :D Ken/11 painted a gorgeous picture.

Ready to pop in Volume 8.

Aw, hell. I'm putting 7 back in. :)

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Originally posted by DanS:

Why the hell do you think I bought the Mellotron library? I want to sound dated!! :D [/QB]
I recorded my track with old cheap microphones through piss-poor mic preamps that make Mackie look really high-end, a Kawai K3 synthesizer from 1986, an Alesis Quadraverb and an analog multi-track. Old!!! :D

~~

Ksoper, thank you very much for the compliment!!

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios.:

Ken - what reverb did you use on that vocal? It's really great sounding...

Most likely a Lexicon LXP15. I rode the reverb a bit, too.

At the time I recorded that, I'm pretty sure I had the LXP15, or else it would have to be an Alesis Quadraverb.

Thanks.

As far as old gear goes, I'm a culprit, too, what with my K2000, etc.

I work at my sound, tho, to avoid obviously dated sounds - sounds that will lose you a lot of listeners even if only due to prejudice against certain sounds (like DX7 EP).

Sure, it's not really a valid criticism from a purely musical perspective to mention outdated sound sets, but if you want as many people as possible to dig your tunes, it's best to avoid sounds that obviously peg you back in the 80s.

Of course, retro sounds are another thing entirely...so maybe all you have to do is hold on to your old gear till it becomes cool again.

M Peasley

Thanks M for the kind words. :)

I too am impressed with the overall level of work on the comps. Very well done everyone! Special ups to Dave and Donn for the fantastic work on the sequencing et al!

I will have to spend a little more time listening to really get into details but so far I have had a blast listening to all of your work. 7/8 is one strong comp. :thu:

Ok, I've only listed to Vol 7, but my thoughts:

1. Love 'Overheard at the Bog' - nice way to open.

2. 'Change your mind' - Phil I LOBE this. Is that you signing? Your voice has a Lennonish quality and the song would happily sit on a FOW album :thu:

3. Totally agree with Jimmie - Shegar is a definite highlight.

4. Bunny as always proves his musical range.

5. b3 guy I love your track, what a voice!

6. Porcupine feet is damn cool.

Can't wait to listen to the rest and to hopefully contribute to Vol 9. :thu::thu:

Speaking for only myself, my choice to use some vintage eighties equipment in Take The Lead, fit the sound I was going for, although it wasnt a conscious effort at first. The song is a result of a couple different eighties influences. First off, me :) since I wrote the piano part, which is the backbone of the tune, back in the eighties. Secondly, my first exposure to a guitar played by keyboard was Jan Hammers Miami Vice Theme. His Moog guitar was a major influence on me, and Ive occasionally tried to emulate it, as sort of an homage. Knowing that its a keyboard up front and not a guitar might cause the listener to be more critical of the way it sounds. But I get a kick out of it every time someone hears it for the first time and is convinced that its a guitar, including musicians (especially guitarists!)

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Most likely a Lexicon LXP15. I rode the reverb a bit, too.

[/QB]

Just for clarification, I meant that I rode the Lexicon in the MIX! :D;)

Thank you for the compliments, JimmieWannaB.

Jeff Irok, The first several second, I did think that the lead was a guitar!!!

Originally posted by nursers:

Ok, I've only listed to Vol 7, but my thoughts:

2. 'Change your mind' - Phil I LOBE this. Is that you signing? Your voice has a Lennonish quality and the song would happily sit on a FOW album :thu:

Well, I'm not sure what "lobe" is - maybe you're thinking about it too much and hurting your frontal lobe? :confused:;) But as for the other two comments (Lennon and Fountains Of Wayne), I am extremely flattered - IMO, that's extremely high praise indeed. :o Thanks for the incredibly nice complements.

BTW, yes, that's me on everything - a completely "solo" recording.

Some cool stuff on both CDs! :thu: Not all of the tracks are of my liking of course (some even beg for skipping :D ) but I think that's normal. You can't please everyone with such a diverse compilation like this, can you? ;)
I am back.

Well I've had a few listens, and once again, honoured to be included in such a wide sweep of talent.

The two that stand out for me are Shegar, & Wednesday (sounds like Cirque Du Soleil to me, Marino :thu: ).

There's quite a few others that blew me away, I just don't have the titles handy.

Great work people.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived