Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC Hyper Threading?

hangee_77

Hi,

I run the Nuendo2, Gigastudio, & Ableton Live on daily basis in the same machine.

Would it be better to keep or disable the Hyper Threading System?

My system is PC P4/3.06GHz (1GB RAM).

Hanjaya C.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So long as you are not having any issues with Gigastudio or Live its ok to leave it on. Nuendo does take advantage of it.
"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

Originally posted by hangee_77:

Hi,

I run the Nuendo2, Gigastudio, & Ableton Live on daily basis in the same machine.

Would it be better to keep or disable the Hyper Threading System?

My system is PC P4/3.06GHz (1GB RAM).

Hanjaya C.

Hyperthreading is good when you have a number of small tasks running, or one large working set program ad a number of small ones.

A working set is the memory that a program needs to run fast - stuff it wants to access from cache. As the two threads in a multithreaded machine are sharing cache, if they have to compete for it your program can slow down overall.

So, for example, it should work well when running a midi sequencer to drive a synth and then recording the results and applying effects on the same machine. The midi part does not need much memory but does need to interrupt the processor a lot and also does not need any (or much) floating point.

So a general rule would be leave it on unless you have several large apps running at the same time, or possibly one large multithreaded app. For most users, this will not be the case and leaving it on all the time should be benefical.

When I start the Giga application, sometimes (not all the time) the computer reboot by itself and I have to run the Giga diagnostic mode to get it thru. I asked the Tascam tech support and they suggested me to off the PC Hyper Threading mode.

With disabling the Hyper Threading mode, will it slow downing my computer?

When I start the Giga application, sometimes (not all the time) the computer reboot by itself and I have to run the Giga diagnostic mode to get it thru. I asked the Tascam tech support and they suggested me to off the PC Hyper Threading mode.

How about trying that? ;) You can always enable it again if any negative effect would appear.
I am back.

In my experience, when using Giga, defenitly turn the hyperthreading off. Don't know why, just don't work good with that turned on

The problem is software Companies that don't make their products to take advantage of Intel's new Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading technology. The software, regardless of the program, needs to be specifically tuned to take full advantage of Hyper-Treading's benefits. The software needs to implement Hyper-Treading support. Windows XP supports Hyper-Threading but unfortunately many software programs aren't specifically tuned to take full advantage of Hyper-Threading's benefits, i.e. - "multi-threaded applications for Multi-tasking purposes". Even the new GigaStudio 3 which is suppose to hit the stores in the near future makes no mention of Hyper-Threading (tuned) support on Tascam's web site for GigaStudio 3. Maybe just an oversight? Maybe NO "full" support for Hyper-Threading? Maybe NO support at all? Your guess is as good as mine.

Here is a .pdf file telling how to optimize GigaStudio when using Windows XP or Windows 2000. Again, no mention of Hyper-Threading compatibilities OR incompatibilities that I could see. But a lot of good info. The .pdf file is 712 kb.

Optimizing Windows 2000/XP for GigaStudio

Mike

Mike

Archived