Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TP & The Heartbreakers "The Last DJ" - opinions?

I just read an article about it. I like the concept, and I normally like Tom's stuff. So, who's heard it? Impressions / thoughts / comments? Should I run out and buy a copy? How does it compare / measure up to some of their previous material? All comments appreciated. Thank you!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it - more moody than previous albums. I just caught them in town a couple weeks ago too. WOW! Great show! About a third of the set was Last DJ stuff and it cooked.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

:bor: I thought it was really boring. It's mostly mid tempo kinda stuff, hardly anything that really rocks which I think is what Petty does best. And the lyrics are way too "obvious" if you know what I mean. He's really trying too hard to make a "concept" album or something with a "message" and IMO it doesn't work. My .02.

I saw TP at [url=http://www.hob.com/venues/concerts/gorge/]The Gorge[/url] a few summers back. Phil is right, they put on an amazing show! With that being said, I'm not too crazy for The Last DJ album. Pretty much everthing Lee said sums up my opinion on that album. Still, I'm glad to see someone like Tom try to take a stab at Corporate Radio gone bad.

I think "The Last DJ" could be one of those albums that grows on you after repeated listening but it definately doesn't grab hold of you on first play. I agree with most of the comments so far and would just add that I think that a lot of the melodic and rythmic content, as well as song structure in some places are not what I've come to expect from him. That being said, I saw TP when he came through town a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the show. He still rocks and the show had a good mix of his material. The new songs come across live pretty well and of course his classics brought down the house.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

sucks. sucks. and sucks. fyi track down some of the bootlegs from the SF fillmore (17 nights!)and NYC irving plaza shows (i was there) from the last time around. more garage rock covers (little bit o soul, time has come today, louie louie, etc) than you can shake a stick at and very very little jeff lynne bullshit. oh, and they rocked. though they look horrible these days. -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]I just read an article about it. I like the concept, and I normally like Tom's stuff. So, who's heard it? Impressions / thoughts / comments? Should I run out and buy a copy? How does it compare / measure up to some of their previous material? All comments appreciated. Thank you![/b][/quote]Our college radio station has been playing quite a bit of the title track. I'm a Petty fan, but, I'm not really enthused by that particular track. I like the concept, but the song sounds too "forced".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [QB] TP & The HB's put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen... QB][/quote]I agree. I have seen few performers with the same amount of unassuming charisma as TP. Really the last guy you would expect to be "riveting" on stage but he is. Also, FWIW Benmont Tench just might be the tastiest R & R keyboardist around. Always "underplaying" to the benefit of the song style - the mark of a true pro. I'll probably end up checking out " Last DJ".
Woof!

Archived