Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Can I Do With A Korg M1?

timrocker

I know that question probably has many answers, some of them even printable. :D

Hi Keyboard People. I usually post on some of the other forums, I play mostly lead guitar. But I have an M1 and have an interest in getting proficient. Or proficient-er anyway. The first thing I need is a way to get the most useful patches all where I can use them. As it is, they are spread far and wide. Know what I mean? I need, say, 2 pianos, 2 tine pianos, 3 organs, and a couple of synth type patches. Strings, horns. Is there a way to get all of them clustered together where I can access them quickly? And leave out all the sci-fi wacko stuff? Thanks for the tips. :D

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best thing to do that is to use a computer based editor, which will allow you to swap places between patches and group them as you like.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

You could rearrange them with software and load them back in.

Or you could copy them into a bank of combinations. I used to do this by copying 10 useful sounds into 10 adjacent combis. Then I could use the "bank hold" button on the right, and move among the sounds with just one button push.

Back in its heyday, the M1 was considered a good board. However, time and technology have passed it by. It still has a very nice keyboard action - and I continue to use mine as a controller for other modules. Sometimes, when you want that typical 80's sound, I'll still use it as a sound generator. I still like the sax sample on that thing, cheesy tho it may be.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

The M1 has often been used in house or techno music; two of the sounds most commonly heard back then were the acoustic piano and the percussive organ (used as main bass sound).
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I'm an M1 owner, it's my only synth tho last year I got a B3 module (never liked the organ on the M1). I use the M1 for strings, synth, brass, flute, pads. I modify most of the patches I use. Even tho it's old, I can usually edit a patch and get a decent modern sound for 'current' type songs. If you don't have software or PC to arrange your patches (I don't), then you could save patches to different #'s but this assumes that you have expendable patches eg save P09, 10, 11 to some other P #'s you're not using which frees up 09, 10, 11. Now, save the patches you want to 09, 10, 11. You can probably by a RAM card and save everything first, then rearrange your patches as described above.

I'd love to hear from more M1 users (if there are any), especially serious players who might still be using this for their meat & potatoes.

Thanks!

Earle

Archived