Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavia Nord Electro 2 MIDI question

drawback

When I MIDI up my NE73 v2.1 to control a Kurzweil ME-1 piano module and change programs on the Electro, the module's programs also change.

On any MIDI controller, you can turn off (or on) the "program change" parameters, but I can't locate that on the Electro.

I should mention the reason I want to do this is because the ME-1's grand piano is so much better than the Clavia's, plus it has reverb in the sample. I just want to stick to that sound on the module without the NE's program changes affecting it.

I've emailed Clavia tech support, haven't heard back, so does anybody know a fix or workaround?

Here for the gear.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no experience of Kurzweil modules, but on most of my rack stuff you can select program change on or off in the MIDI menu. I use an XV-2020 with my Electro (I switch the reverb off, though! :P ), and the patches change to whatever number I change to on the Electro. Whwn I use it in multitimbral mode, I simply set program change to off, and away goes the problem!

/J :cool: nas

Thanks - but I forgot to mention the ME-1 is just a dumb sound module and has no MIDI program-specific controls in it.

I heard from Clavia and they say there is no way to do this in the present OS, but they are putting it on the wish list for later OS upgrades. Judging by their response to controllable velocity settings, this could easily happen though.

Here for the gear.

a long time ago....

Electronic Musician had an article that showed you how to build a MOOPed: Midi - On/Off - Pedal.

Anderton should be able to help with this one.

From what I recall, it was a simple process that cuts a Midi cable and routes it through a selector pedal (like the kind Tascam used for their Portastudios). You isolated the on/off wires and through the miracle of soldering you got yourself a useful Midi cut pedal for under $25.

I had the same problem with an older midi hooked up to a General Midi instrument. But my problem was worse; not only were the programs changing, but the controlled device was triggered at an octave higher than I desired.

It's no fun to connect/reconnect midi cables, espescially during a gig.

Archived