Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your favourite soft synths?

everglass

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This can almost change monthly so here is my current favorites.

VirSyn Tera 2 - Great sound, does about anything. Very stable and very easy to program. Found it at a closeout and got it cheap. :D

NI FM7 - Still the best FM VSTi out and low CPU usage.

rgc:Audio Z3ta+ - Deep programability.

NI Kontakt - I don't really like using Kontakt because of the interface, but I like the sound and combined with SonicStatioin it makes a decent ROMpler. It also loads my GigaStudio samples.

Trilogy - Bass, bass, bass. I use it more than Atmosphere.

XPhrase - Also managed to find this one at close out pricing. A software wavestation type synth that is done very well.

Cameleon 5000 - Maybe the best, deepest additive synth. Good for resynthesis. Along with XPhrase I get those "special" pads.

To round out my "if I only used 10" list I will add NI B4, LoungeLizard and NI Battery for a complete setup.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Right now, I have evolved to a minimal (for my standards) studio featuring, in decreasing order of usage

SampleTank2 + Sonic Synth

z3ta+

Pentagon 1

Kontakt (usually with Sonic Station)

Reaktor Session

Crystal

RM IV

Phatmatik Pro

Linplug daOrgan

Triangle II

The synth I would use heavily if I had it would be XPhrase. I also use EnergyXT a lot. It's not a VSTi per se, but can be loaded up as such.

Prog

Originally posted by everglass:

Umm yeah, I tried searching for softsynths but not a lot of "favourites" or "best" came up. If you can copy a search link in the reply I'd be equally happy with that.

My bad, sorry. I had a feeling like a thread with ALMOST EXACTLY the same title was posted here already.
I am back.

I'll second FM7 and add Reaktor ... some of the ensembles in the user library are as interesting as anything out there.

I think I've posted this before, but Delay Lama is still one of my all-time favorites. Obviously, you can't really use it on tracks anymore, but nothing is more fun to play for a little while. And if you go absolutely nuts with the pitch stick/mod wheel you can get some great sounds that you CAN still use on tracks.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Cameleon 5000 - Maybe the best, deepest additive synth. Good for resynthesis. Along with XPhrase I get those "special" pads.

I was playing around with the demo for this and for Virsyn Cube. While Cube seemed more polished in some way (a "cleaner" sound, maybe), CA5000 just made such PLAYABLE sounds. Really beautiful stuff. Do you know how the new resampling capabilities of Cube stack up against those of CA5000? Have you tried Cube? How do you think they compare/contrast?

Sorry I have not compared the two. As an owner if Camel Phat Pro I got a pre-releases discount on Cameleon 5000 and bought it then when there was no real competition. It has been a good buy because the developer is so responsive to questions, suggestions and problems. But then, VirSyn is also a good developer.

One of the music mags recently did an extensive review of Cameleon 5000 and in it he compared a lot of features to the new version of Cube. It may have been SoS. I do remember the review really pointing out how logical and easy to use the Cameleon 5000 method

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm not a big softsynth user, but among the ones I have tried, my favorites are:

Arturia Moog Modular V

Reaktor

Vaz Modular

Granulab

Creamware Pro-One

plus I have great expectation for CA 5000.

Emagic ES2, ESM, ESP, ESE, ESX24

NI FM7, Pro-53, Kompakt

East West dedicated sampler engines based on Kompakt (Bosendorger, Strings, etc.)

Arturia CS-80V (despite being a little buggy)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

i prefer hardware but out of those i used or tried:

softsynths:

PRO53 - sometimes practical for quick "classic" results.

Absynth - different

VStation - nice addition to RA with its digi-buzzy VA sound. nice effects.

soft samplers/romplers:

NI Kontakt - indispensable

Trilogy - one mean :evil: bass machine

Atmosphere - great if played alone, and with no desire to tweak. Suffers in a busier mix setting.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Archived