Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB MIDI controllers: which one has the best keys?

Superbobus

Within two months I'm gonna have gigs for which I have to take the plane. I once took my synth with me, in a flightcase, but this was no joy, so I'm looking for a setup which is SMALL. The sounds I need will be only Rhodes, an organ patch and some cheesy synth sounds, so my iBook with Logic will do.

At this moment I have an Evolution 225C, which has not enough keys and which I don't like. The keys feel like a sponge. I'm reading about M-audio's Pro 88 but that's gonna be to heavy. Which 61 key controller has keys that at least don't feel spongy?

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I can tell you is that Evolution keyboards upto and including the 4xx series don't use a spring velocity board, which (in my opinion) is why you get a 'spongy' feel. I'm not sure about the M-Audio Radium or Oxygen keyboards (because that was before M-Audio acquired the company) but the Keystation 49e has a spring based velocity board and so does the eKeys49 (both are virtually identical).

The Keystation 61es looks like a good option. But none of the two I mentioned (61es and the eKeys49) have any controller knobs etc on. I'd still consider the Pro 88 but you might want to try an M-Audio Radium 61 at a retailer store first. Otherwise try an Evolution MK-461C and see what does for you. If you're interested in the feel I recommend the try-before-you-buy approach.

My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

The Pro 88 looks cool and has a great set of features, but has weighted keys. Normally I would say this is great, but I want this thing to be as light as possible. I don't have a car myself, because of bad eyesight, so I need something for those gigs where I have to go by train, or plane.

My choice would be between the Radium 61, Keystation 61es and the Edirol PCR80. Evolution is out of the question. Pictures of the MK461C show the same keys as on the small model I have. The Edirol comes with a software driver, the others are plug & play. Does anyone have experience with Edirol?

It's hard to test controllers over here, because the local store only has Evolution stuff and I have to act fast.

I already bought myself a Radium 61. The semi weighted Keystation looks cool, but doesn't have assignable knobs and the Radium has more or less acceptable keys. If I want the real feel, I still have a P120 or Rhodes.

It's a nice, cheap, light controller. Too bad it screwed up my Logic XSkey settings. Dunno what happened, but Logic Platinum 5 (huh??? I have Pro) is now in demo mode... :mad:

Great question, the evolution stuff is awful.. I plan to use my Novation KS4 as a controller for Reason although ideally I'd prefer something like the Radium if it had a better keybaord and aftertouch (why do none of them support aftertouch?)

Archived