Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

has anyone done digital video editing with live band footage ?

i would like to make a quality video of my band with sound and everything but not sure exactly what i need... i have a digital cam, and a way to record live 8 tracks of audio (fostex vf16). i intend to mix down to a stereo .wav file and mix the "quality" audio into the video and possibly do some editing and effects to the vid. i'm sure i'll need some type of software and possibly more hardware... but what? i have a pretty beefy computer based recording studio (audio)... any help would be appreciated, thanks. matt.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have no dv software... i would need to look into something like vegas video or something like that. i have (access to) a jvc digital video cam... about a thousand dollar unit last year,nice. and for audio i got everything... pc 933mhz p3, 256ram, over 100gigs of space on ata hard drives. i run cool edit pro 1.2a (no vid capabilities) and as i stated i would record live on a fostex vf16, mix down to a stereo .wav file then...???

sadworld, your best bet would be getting vegas video or adobe premiere to handle the video aspect.otherwise your in good shape. heres what i would do: 1.record your footage to the cam,record the audio to the cam also,this will help sync up tracks later if need be. 2.Since your a little shy on ram(512mb at least) for this, capture footage 1 song at a time.then using the camera audio as a guide track capture your audio from the fostex(you can mute the guide..at this time). 3.Now you can see how sync'ed you are at this point.(Note:some cams only capture at 48k,so if this cam does make sure you set the fostex for 48k also,obviously this should be done before hand). 4. Have fun editing,remember you can use footage from other songs,another thought is if someone you know has another camera have them capture your performance and mix that footage in too.this will give depth and gives a little variety.get some crowd shots and maybe some after gig shots. Hope this gives you some ideas. midimonk
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

thanks, that last reply was good and helpful. i'd like to hear some more input though from anyone else that may do this type of recording. also what about other hardware do i need anything else besides the software and what i have already in my recording studio?

midimonk's advice is all good. Vegas Video rocks, it's not that expensive considering what you get. You'll probably need a FireWire (IEEE-1394) card to get video into the computer. Also, I HIGHLY recommend a dedicated huge hard drive for digital audio. I have a removeable drive bay in my computer, and when it's video time, I load up a 30 GB drive. If possible do a two-camera shoot, but as midimonk pointed out, you can use other shots and lay them in over the sound -- no one will know. Also if there are problems, that's a good time to put in "reaction shots" -- people dancing, whatever.

ah ha! i new there was something else i had to buy! lol... anything else? don't my cam need a fire wire connection or something like that or how does that work? what are other possibilities? and with my specs on my pc should i be able to edit a couple hours worth of video down to like say... an hour? sounds like my 256ram needs to be doubled eh? thanks

sadworld, Pardon my earlier omissions(thanks,Craig).Yes,you will either need a firewire card to get the video to the HD or if this camera only has analog I/O(ie s-video,BNC) then you will have to look at the different solutions from Pinnacle Systems or Matrox(plus a seperate drive for audio/video is highly recommended,as Craig pointed out earlier).Of course,this raises the price a bit ,video editing is just as expensive if not more than all our audio goodies. For Vid stuff check out these guys. http://www.videoguys.com Lots of good info on their site and very helpful.No i don't work for them,i stumbled across them a few years ago in a similar situation. Midimonk BTW Ram is definitely a must in this situation.
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

I don't know what kind of output your camera has -- Firewire is what you'll find on miniDV. Otherwise, you'll need an appropriate board. I believe the ATI All-in-Wonder has inputs for analog cameras (composite, S-VHS?). You'll find you don't really need that much to do video. I've done a lot with just a $25 Firewire card, $600 camera, and Vegas Video (the upgrade to 3.0 cost me $199 -- well worth it). I did notice that Vegas Video runs MUCH better on Windows XP than 98SE, for what that's worth.

Not sure exactly what you want from the final product, but I did a project recently in FCP where I had old video of a band playing live (several shows) and they had an audio track they wanted in synched to. The nice thing about the digital video programs nowadays (I use both FCP and Vegas) is that if you're not worrying about one long shot, you can get small snippets to line up very well. For instance, I had a video of them doing the same song, but playing live they played much faster than in the studio. I took a short clip of video and measured the number of frames it was. Then I took audio where they were singing/playing the same part in the song and measured the number of frames. A little math gave me a rough estimate of how much I'd have to slow the video to get it to match up. I ended up having to cut off a little from the end once I got the beginning lined up, but it was damn close after that. So anyway, if you're working with multiple pieces of video, different angles, maybe crowd shots, there is a lot you can do in the video editing program to line things up.
Andrew Mazzocchi

does not look like tha t cam i have access to has anyfire wire connection. in the jvc description it did say this...i.Link Digital Input/Output (IEEE 1394 compliant) DV in/out S-Video Output i pasted that.... what's s video? looks like i may have to buy a cam. (sony handy cam hi 8 recorder for sale m# ccd-trv87) bums me out cause i just bought it last year... if i knew then what i know now... btw that 's a different cam than the one i've described earlier, that's my bud's and it is digital, i just don't know if that one has the right connections... thanks for all the input so far. matt.

OK, SO the cam's got fire wire... what kind of connection do i need on my pc to be able to accept that cable? what does it look like? i got all kinds of open places for inputs but for fire wire...??? i must need a card or adapter or something else. please correct me if i;'m wrong. thanks, matt.

you will probably need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable. thats what my sony uses with its iLink. im actaully doing almost the same thing right now. i have a two camera live date that was recorded to 24 tracks off the board and mixed. i just dumped the whole song into FCP and lined up the two cameras with the song. now im going through the two cameras and grabbing the good shots and deleting the bad stuff.... then im going to go through the rest of the 2 hour show and pick other shots from the night and place them where needed.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived