Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboardist/Piano player needed for pro gig

Hi- My name is Matt Ascione and I am the musical director of "Silver Wings", the premier country music ensemble of The United States Air Force Band in Washington DC. We currently have an opening for a position as Keyboard/piano player available immediately. Please peruse the information below, check out our website at www.usafband.com or feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Thank you. Matt Ascione

Current Openings in

The United States Air Force Band

Keyboard with The Silver Wings

Tell a friend, student or colleague about this audition

Since its formation in 1993,The United States Air Force Band Silver Wings has been presenting the finest in country music, firmly establishing itself in the Washington-area music scene and beyond.

Annual Starting Salary $39,652 - $46,416 Full Military Benefits: 30 days paid vacation; medical and dental coverage Four-year minimum enlistment. Federal presidential security clearance will be required. The maximum age at time of enlistment is 34.

For more information about this opening, e-mail our personnel acquisition office, or call (202) 404-4377.

The United States Air Force Band is wholeheartedly committed to reflecting the diversity of our great nation. We actively encourage individuals from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds to learn about our organization and seek positions with "America's International Musical Ambassadors."

For information on all full and part-time musical performance opportunities in the United States Air Force, contact: Air Force Bands Hotline 1-888-519-9866 or on the Internet at www.af.mil/band

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt, both links needs to have the dot after com removed.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I can add my two cents re the life of a military musician. I spent 20 years as the jazz piano player for the USMA Band (at West Point, NY).

I auditioned specifically for that band, was accepted and stayed 20 years at the same location. I worked about 75% of all those weekends on the side (cocktail piano jobs, Sunday brunches, wedding band jobs, etc.) and saved and invested that money and retired at the advanced age of 44; I'm now 53. I would make $400+ per wedding ten years ago; I'd love to make that money today without even factoring in inflation.

I know that the Air Force treats its musicians better than the Army does, so the job you are advertising should be a pretty good job.

Matt, perhaps you can add some information re housing or housing allowance and the pay grade scheme. For the USMA Band (when I joined), I went through basic training as an E-3 and was automatically promoted to E-5 within a few months. What's the pay grade scheme for this job? At West Point, there were almost enough houses set aside just for the Band.

I assume this job is a permanent duty assignment (military talk, I don't talk that way normally) ... same location for the duration.

I would think the opportunity for playing on the side in that area would be excellent.

A personal question - did you ever hear of a piano player by the name of Bruce Barsamian? He worked in the Washington, DC area years ago.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave- Wow! Great reply! Yes, this gig is a permanent duty gig, meaning you will never have to move or go to another base, or take another job. The position really is a rare opportunity in terms of military gigs. I'm not sure I can go as far as saying that one service treats its people better than others, but I can say that you can live a very comfortable life in the areas around DC for the salary being paid, and the Air Force will treat you great all the way. The opportunities for outside gigs are many, keeping in mind that the Air Force gigs always come first. You will come in as an E-6 right out of basic training, and your primary duty, or job will be to play the piano and keyboards in a country/rock/pop band. That's it! In a way, it's almost crazy that I have to even ask twice! It's that good of a job. The pay scale is based upon rank, time in, whether or not you are married or have dependents, and if you live on or off base. Right now the base pay monthly for an E-6 with 2 or less years in is $1855.50. Keep in mind that this is the only portion of your check that is taxed. The other portion of your pay consists of a housing allowance, and what they call BAS, or Basic allowance for sustenance. The housing allowance varies for single and married people, (or people who have dependents). The current housing allowance for the DC area for a single person at the pay grade of E-6 is $1206, and for married is $1756. Thats per month, non taxed. The BAH is around $250 per month. So, that means a single guy or gal will gross $3311 a month, and someone with dependents will gross about $3861 per month. All to play the Keys! If anyone has anymore questions, please feel free to e-mail me. I'll be happy to answer any and all of them! Thanks again for the reply Dave and for shedding some light on the gig! Matt

Unless it has changed since I was in (1960-63...) the USAF bands have one major disadvantage over Army or Navy (don't know about Marines). In the Army and Navy, they would send you to the Navy music school, a really top-flight music school, where as the Air Force would only do this after re-enlistment. I found this out after enlisting in the Air Farce.

Think carefully before joining, this can be a great first step or a step into 2-beat hell-or both...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Originally posted by Dasher:

Unless it has changed since I was in (1960-63...) the USAF bands have one major disadvantage over Army or Navy (don't know about Marines). In the Army and Navy, they would send you to the Navy music school, a really top-flight music school, where as the Air Force would only do this after re-enlistment. I found this out after enlisting in the Air Farce.

Think carefully before joining, this can be a great first step or a step into 2-beat hell-or both...

Dasher

I can't speak for the Air Force, but my job in the Army was similar to the job being advertised - 'permanent duty assignment' and as a result I went directly to the the Band after basic. In the Army, at least, if you were accepted into a 'special band', you did not have to attend the School of Music (or as it was called, The School of Mucous).

Interestingly enough, acceptance into the Marine Band meant _no basic training whatsoever_! I spent all of my 20 years in one location and as a result I was not really knowledgeable how the 'system' worked as I led a sheltered though very comfortable life.

Dasher- The Air Force takes musicians who are already qualified to do the job. That's why there is no music school. As for being in "2 beat hell", that is a total misconception. The gig is extremely challenging and very rewarding on so many levels. It's pretty tough to convince people of the truth, that this is a great job both musically and financially. It definitely doesn't help when people attempt to define it in ways that are incorrect. Matt

Dasher, I have to side with Matt on this. While a country job would not be my first choice, I'm sure there are guys (or gals) who would find it challenging.

You know, considering that you have a mean version of Wichita Lineman :bor: on your CD link to ... Dino and David - The CD! Now shipping! , I find it interesting that you're giving Matt a hard time. (What's the deal with the hat?) :cool:

I have personally been in both the Army and Air Force Band programs. It would be hard to actually say which is better, as they both have their strengths. I guess that it bears mentioning that there is a difference in the "Premier" bands that are at the military academies and in Washington D.C. and "regular" bands that are around the world. In general the musicianship and the overall gig is "better" in D.C., but that is not to say that you won't find awesome musicians in the "regular" bands. I think that you will not be disappointed if you make the decision to join. Most of my friends who are civilian musicians have "day jobs" to support themselves, while in the military playing music is your day job. I guess that you could look at it from the perspective that you are "selling out" by not playing exactly the kind of music that you love all of the time, but I tend to take the view that playing any type of music beats sitting behind a desk all day long.

Archived