Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do people complain about the heavy action of the Yamaha P series?

alby

When you play incorrectly, you play just from your hand and if you were to repeat what you just did, your hand would be locked to the desk top of to your keyboard.

QB]

You are good at describing how not to play, but how do you describe how to play other than the flip the wrist test?

So when you play correctly you play from your _________?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jazz+:

When you play incorrectly, you play just from your hand and if you were to repeat what you just did, your hand would be locked to the desk top of to your keyboard.

QB]

You are good at describing how not to play, but how do you describe how to play other than the flip the wrist test?

So when you play correctly you play from your _________?

First, there is no substitute for a good teacher, OK?

The feeling you want to have when playing correctly (and this will be slightly exaggerated) is this - place your fingertips on the keys or on your desktop ... completely relaxed. With your other hand, quickly and rapidly, lift your hand by placing a finger or two under the wrist. That is the feeling you want to have when playing - a slight bounce. ________This is much easier for me to explain if you were next to me.________ You can not study correct technique on the internet, you need a real person to show you and to correct you. If you would put playing the piano on the same level as golfing, you would see a golf pro to improve, wouldn't you?

I really did not want to go into detail on how to play correctly because someone will then _not_ see a real person. There is no substitute for a real person, period.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived