Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever buy sounds from "Kid Nepro?"

Synthoid

I saw this question on another forum. Didn't get many responses though. I bought some sounds from "nepro" for my Triton over a year ago and they were lame.

Anyone else experienced their sounds?

Also....what IS a Nepro, anyway?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did when I had this Roland something or another. It wasn't that the sounds were lame. It was my keyboard, but Kidnepro turning the knobs. I was under the impression that he could make my board sound more like a Hammond than I could! Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Kid Nepro has been cranking out patches for probably 20 years. I have bought several banks of patches, dating back to JX8P patch sheets in about 1985, Jupiter 8 cassette sounds in 1999 or 2000 and then some S90 sounds not too long ago.

They were all good sounds and good value. I recommend them!

Regards,

Eric

Yea. I bought a few banks for my Triton. The patches were good and it was easy to download and install them. I'd buy from them again. That new service that Sweetwater is offering looks pretty cool. Anyone sigh up for the samples yet?

About six years ago I ordered patch banks from them for two or three of my synths. One bank I had problems downloading. Customer service was excellent. They tried to guide me through some file access issues (AOL/FTP related), and when things still didn't work out, they mailed me the patches on a floppy disk. Nice sounds all around from what I recall.

I have their whole series for my 01WFD that I bought years ago & have been very happy with them for this particular board. There are lots-o-sounds out there for every keyboard, some are good some are bad. For me it's been mostly trial & error.
"I'm not a monkey anymore..."

They've been around for 20 years? Wow...I thought they were a "johnny-come-lately" company.

I ordered some pre-loaded RAM cards for my D-50 back in the late 80's but that company folded long ago.

I've been fortunate to get loads of free sounds for the Triton from Irishacts website. I've even created some of my own and uploaded them there.

Old "Nepro's" stuff didn't seem as good as the freebies I got. :)

They've been around for 20 years? Wow...I thought they were a "johnny-come-lately" company.
Yes, I clearly remember the Kid Nepro ads that were in the "old school" Keyboard Mag classified section.

In fact I just found their website and it indicates they have been around since 1984:

Kid Nepro

Give 'em a try!

Regards,

Eric

Old Nepro.....I like that one. Yeah.....The Kid is not that young anymore. Maybe I'll start using that.

I don't usually respond to posts on on the boards, but this one caught my eye and I thought it time that everyone know where Nepro came from.

To answer your question about "What is a Nepro"???? Webster defines it;

Main Entry: nephr-

Variant(s): or nephro-

Function: combining form

Etymology: New Latin, from Greek, from nephros

: kidney

When I was in college studying music I also took an interest in nephrology. When I started the business back in the early 80's it was not originally supposed to be for selling sounds. The idea was to sell nutrition supplements for people with chronic or acute renal failure requiring dialysis. It seemed a more stable way to make a living then playing keyboards. Hence the name Kidneypro which became Kid Nepro.

Well that idea was way ahead of it's time and did not catch on so one day while looking through the classified section of Keyboard magazine I noticed many sound companies selling "patches". It struck me as a good idea since I always liked to tweak my own sounds. Since all the legal paperwork was already in the Kid Nepro name, rather then change it I decided to start selling sounds under that name. I can't tell you how many calls I've gotten over the years from people thinking we deal in dialysis so the early 90's we added "The Patch King" to the advertising just so it would be clear as to what we were selling.

So....that's the story of Kid Nepro.

Anyway....as far as sounds go. What I think has kept us in business all these years is a few things. First is to keep up with the times and continue to produce new sounds for the new instruments that hit the market. We are now in the process of creating one of the largest downloadable AIFF and WAV file sample libraries on the web which has gotten a great response from our customers. If we were just selling Jupiter-8 and Prophet-5 sounds you can bet that we would not still be around. Second is to try and produce the best quality product at the lowest price possible and follow it up with best possible customer support if a customer needs help. I've also been in business long enough to realize that you can't please everyone so if a customer complains about something we listen and do our best to fix the problem. As a result most of our customers our happy with their purchase and many of our customers are repeat buyers.

Thanks to everyone to had positive things to say. Now I have to get back in the studio and work on making more patches!

Sincerely;

Steve Proto

Old Nepro Productions

http://www.kidnepro.com

Originally posted by Kid Nepro:

It seemed a more stable way to make a living then playing keyboards. Hence the name Kidneypro which became Kid Nepro.

That is the most awesome thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing. :thu:

When I was at Alesis, in addition to most people mispronouncing the name of the company all the time, no one really knew what it meant. Well, it was a made-up word for the most part, but it was a shortened version of Keith Barr's idea for the company: ALgorithmic ELectronic SYStems.

TASCAM stands for Teac Audio Systems Corporation of AMerica. And TEAC, in turn, is also an acronym: Tokyo Electro-Acoustic Company.

The story I've always wanted to know (but always forget to ask Jim Cooper about) is how "Mark of the Unicorn" got its name. Sounds like the type of thing one comes up with after an all-nighter with hallucinogens involved. :D

- Jeff

Originally posted by Kid Nepro:

I don't usually respond to posts on on the boards, but this one caught my eye (snip)

Welcome to the board here, Steve. I was curious... how were you able to offer so many patches for so many different synthesizers over the years? Did you own all of the synths yourself, or did you pay commissions to owners of the synths to create patch banks for Kid Nepro? (thanks for the info on the name, btw!)

Since you're offering wav and aiff files now, would you consider accepting new synth sound files for commision?

how were you able to offer so many patches for so many different synthesizers over the years? Did you own all of the synths yourself, or did you pay commissions to owners of the synths to create patch banks for Kid Nepro?

Most of the sounds were programmed by me although I do work with a few close friends. I did own most of the synths and samplers that we offer sounds for and I still have a large collection of gear.

The most fortunate thing that happened along the way is that I got a job working at Rogue Music in NYC in 1989. Most of you probably know about Rogue. They are one of the largest sellers of used gear in the world. The owner; Dick Michaels is a really cool guy and I have him to thank for much of the success that I've had. When I was working there Dick let me take whatever synth or sampler that I wanted to work with and bring it home for a few months. When I was done I could then just bring it back or purchase the instrument for a fraction of the cost. Being in the middle of NYC you can imagine the cool stuff that came passing through Rogue everyday. Nothing like getting a Mini Moog for $200. By 1995 Nepro was doing well enough that I left Rogue to devote full time to it. I miss the gang at Rogue. A bunch of great people to work with.

I'm a keyboard player and composer in addition to being a programmer. All of the MP3 audio demos at our web site were done by me if anyone is interested in checking out some of my stuff. The demos for the Motif sounds were done most recently and I'm happy with the results.

Since you're offering wav and aiff files now, would you consider accepting new synth sound files for commision?

We do work with other programmers. If your interested please e-mail me and I can fill you in. Thanks for the interest.

Everytime I see "Kid Nepro" somewhere, it makes me think of a cutesy little video game hero-type character. :D

"The Adventures of Kid Nepro!"

Of course, the game would have cool sound effects and banging music. :P

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

• 9 months later...

I believe that would be "Ale Sis" as in, "I'll have an ale, sis!" It's either that or "Alley Sis" as in, "I saw you drinking in the alley, sis." :D

Actually, it should be "Ah-lee-sis" as far as I know. I'm sure dB or the Peake guy or one of the other Alesis gurus here can set the record straight. The pronunciation of Alesis is probably a lot less butchered than the pronunciation of "Moog." ;)

Regards,

Eric

I've been buying Kid Nepro sounds since the 80's, and have had a lot of fun with them. I have bought from 2 other companies also, 1 I know is belly up, the other I don't know about. I still buy Kid Nepro, and have recently picked up their entire Wavestation series. I also have the entire 01/w series, and use them alot!

Thanks Steve.

Jay

I met KidNepro about two years ago while vacationing with my wife in Barbados. I managed to find him in the directory listing I believe by chance and called him up. We decided to meet I think at a place called church or something like that cause I wanted to get some patches for the Trinity I had then. He was a really nice guy, came in an old beat up, was it a Tercel Kid or Honda :D . I think it was green or maybe blue :D

Anyway you all know I'm just making an ass of myself. End of story is He was a really nice guy and I appreciated the fact that he drove part of the way just to ensure I got what I wanted, and I found sound really nice patches among the banks that I got.

Thanks again Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Archived