Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sell Loops

sandler14

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ebay is one place. I have bought a few CD's from people that sell there. They usually set up web sites to sell from, but also place their items on ebay. Quality varies greatly but a few studio/producers put out some decent sets.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Ebay is one place. I have bought a few CD's from people that sell there. They usually set up web sites to sell from, but also place their items on ebay. Quality varies greatly but a few studio/producers put out some decent sets.

Yep, I sold a couple hundred copies about 4 years ago. Put up a website with some examples, make is easy to transact, and set a fair price. Hard to go wrong if you have decent loops.

Just be sure to actually make your OWN loops. The one I was selling was a set of samples I made from a broken piano that was being demolished to get it out of a basement. I got a few somewhat polite letters from a few of the big guys asking me to verify the origin of some of the sounds, so it means that they must have purchased and listened to them.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by sandler14:

So would there be a problem if i made the loops using sounds from my triton or alesis qs8.1 keyboard. Also what format should i have the samples in. And what type of website..(angelfire..etc)

Sorry I missed this thread before it dropped off the front page.

I don't think that there would be a problem creating samples from another keyboard as long as they were not just the raw waves or loops that are already in the unit.

As far as format, it depends on your market. The best format for loops at this time in terms of marketability are probably acidized wav files or REX files.

And as far as a website? If you want someone to take you seriously, get your own domain name (they're like 8.00 a year now) and get your own hosting ($9 a month...cheaper than Xbox live). If you don't care about professionalism, just sell on ebay without a site. That's preferable to having a terrible site.

It sounds like you haven't really thought this out. You need a plan. If you are only doing this to make a few copies and sell them, why bother? Set goals, a schedule and some milestones, but before that, be sure your loops are pristine and punchy and normalized. It's a lot harder than people think. Also consider your overhead. A business plan, dude. A business plan.

Again, if this sounds like a hassle and you aren't that serious about it, forget it, because along with the ebay cut and the labor to burn and ship, it ain't worth it to half-ass it.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived