Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Emulator X and/or PowerCore Virus?

RABid

I have an opportunity to trade my Karma which I almost never use. Two things that interest me are Emulator X and the PowerCore system with the Virus software. Is anyone using either of these? It looks like Access it just about to release the latest version of the Virus Powercore which will put it at almost Virus C specs. I hate to give up hardware for software but with the expansion ROMs already loaded in the Karma I have enough trade value to almost swing both items.

Is anyone using these yet? Ill be happy with almost anything that reduces CPU load on my system.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to check out with the Powercore is the latency when using their soft synths. My impression is that when you try to use it in low latency, real-time mode, it requires a fair amount of CPU. Hence, what's the point, you might as well go software all the way as it's cheaper.

Busch.

Hmm, not that I am in the market, but I would use the Karma just for the KARMA function itself, with the software app of course...and maybe if the thing had a MOSS board, I would use that.

Damn shame Korg did not release a KARMA tabletop with 16 knobs and no sound engine.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

One thing to check out with the Powercore is the latency when using their soft synths. My impression is that when you try to use it in low latency, real-time mode, it requires a fair amount of CPU. Hence, what's the point, you might as well go software all the way as it's cheaper.

Busch.

Thanks for that information. I never realized that and Access does not mention it on their site, which is not surprising. If that is the case one might be better off with a Virus B. I also notice that the license for Virus Powercore only allows it to run on one of the four DSP chips, limiting the number of instances you can run at one time. If you want to run more than four patches at once you have to upgrade to an unlimited license, increasing the cost.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Archived