Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is Steve?

BIGMUTHAKINREK

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you mean Stephen Fortner. He reviewed the Extreme in May's issue of Keyboard. If you aren't a subscriber, you'll probably be able to pick up an issue in a couple of weeks.

BTW, good review Steve. Made me want to go check it out, as I figured the tube to be a gimmick until I read your review.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

To the tune of Tower of Power's "What is Hip?"

Who is Steve?

Tell me, tell me

If ya think ya know

Who is Steve?

If you're really Steve

You got no hair to grow.

:D I'll have the Extreme around a little while longer, so if anyone has questions that weren't covered in the review, I can try to answer them here.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

BECKY OH MY F#$KIN GOD ITS REALLY HIM!!!!

haha, just kiddin man, I did have one question. Does the Extreme have all of the original classic Triton sounds, ie: Dark R&B Bass, Percussion Kit, Orchestra Kit. These are sounds I use for almost EVERY track I do. Thanks Man, other than that question my mind is made up.

"Why is Danny Ainge still employed in Boston?"

I've got one: Are there any new/decent rhodes samples, or are they the same as what was available on the Classic/Studio?

Big, the Extreme should have no problem loading the original Triton sound banks. I agree, there are many "go to" sounds in there that would be a shame to lose.

Dark R&B Bass, Percussion Kit, Orchestra Kit are included in the Extreme.

Jeebus, there are two, I assume to be new, Rhodes multisamples in the Extreme found in the found the BEST ROM bank. I believe these came from the Classic Keyboard card. They are OK. One issue that I have with the Tritons is that you don't find three and four velocity multisamples. I think this stems from the fact that the synth engine (really the same as the M1) supports four mono velocities or two stereo in program mode. The Roland and Yamaha engines support four stereo, and it's very common to find 3/4 velocity multisamples (even stereo) on these synths. For ac pianos, EPs, acoustic guitars, etc having more levels just makes it more playable. The Triton does best with sounds that don't require lots of velocity levels, e.g. organs, pads, sustained strings, synths, distorted guitar. For me the strength of the Tritons is Combi mode with >1,500 memory locations, dual arps and sufficient FXs to make some really interesting and complex sounds. The Roland and Yamahas are stronger, in most cases, at the Program level with indivdual sounds. My opinion of course.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

For me the strength of the Tritons is Combi mode with >1,500 memory locations, dual arps and sufficient FXs to make some really interesting and complex sounds. The Roland and Yamahas are stronger, in most cases, at the Program level with indivdual sounds. My opinion of course.

Busch.

We share the same opinion. You just summed it up very concisely and eloquently. :thu:

For two competing products, it's interesting to note how complementary they really are. To those trying to decide between a Motif or a Triton, I say you can't go wrong if you just get BOTH. ;):D

Jeebus, I'm checking the voice name list re your question about new EP samples... the banks labelled "New1" and "New2" do not appear to contain any entirely new multisamples of electric pianos. The "Best" bank does have stage, suitcase, and Wurly samples from the "Pianos and Classic Keyboards" expansion board, though.

As for how much re-voicing has gone into the programs, I don't have a "classic" model in front of me for comparison, but my understanding is that there are some re-voiced (i.e. same sample data, new programming) EP sounds... I'll try and go through the unit tonight and pick out the particularly good ones. Stay tuned.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Thanks Steve. My understanding is that the only "new" samples are those carried over from past expansion boards. I'll be checking out the Triton Extreme myself this weekend, so don't spend too much time digging through the sounds for me. (But by all means, do so at your own leisure!) :)

Jeebs

Yo Jeeb,

Actually, there are a handful of new samples that can't be found anywhere except in the Extreme. If you go into program edit mode, they are found in the banks (which can be accessed from the OSC page) called "New1" and "New2." The highlight is a Steinway whose raw components are "Conert Grand L" and "Concert Grand R" There's another bank labelled "Piano" which contains the double-strike Bosendorfer sample from the Triton Studio.

The other new samples inclide a few new B3's, sax, a couple of new acoustic guitars (including a good nylon), electric guitars, and basses. Again, my understanding is that these are only in the Extreme. Then there's all the now-included expansion board stuff on top of that.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Archived