Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 junkees.....check this out !

micah

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the organ did't impress me in the least (lacks crispness, balls, presence)- but Eddie Howard is definitely a hook monster. All the jazz/funk organ cliches, and good chops as well.

Don't give up,guys - all it takes is a few years of practice to get that level of chop, and you now have the video lesson on how to play that cross-manual stuff audiences so dearly love - and what are you doing the rest of your life anyway?

Back to the woodshed...

Thirty years ago, I heard the Jimmys and Bro. Jack and Groove, and said to myself, "If I practice REALLY hard and long, in twenty years I can be that good!"

Thirty years later, I most definitely am NOT that good. But I love playing anyway! Joke 'em if they can't take a fuck!

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Yeah, and what are chops without a context? Maybe that guy plays that way regardless of the context, I´ve heard it happen before with demoing musicians... :rolleyes: For me, it´s all about the interplay... at least until I reach that higher level of chops! :P

/J :cool: nas

Actually Eddie Howard Jr. is a diverse musician who's roots are gospel but has done backup on jazz and latin, as well as gospel CDs. He is a piano master and can do some strings as well. His latest CD, a gospel collection, all of which he wrote, shows off his vocals as well. Previews of each number are here....

http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,1674347,00.html

Don't know him...just did a little research!

Terry

Originally posted by Dasher:

Well, the organ did't impress me in the least (lacks crispness, balls, presence

Have you heard it in person, or just seen the video? I though the sound was rather impressive, given the low quality audio file.

Originally posted by TkWall:

Actually Eddie Howard Jr. is a diverse musician who's roots are gospel but has done backup on jazz and latin, as well as gospel CDs. He is a piano master and can do some strings as well. His latest CD, a gospel collection, all of which he wrote, shows off his vocals as well. Previews of each number are here....

http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,1674347,00.html

Don't know him...just did a little research!

Terry

That´s what I was afraid of! :D:P

/J :rolleyes: nas

I don't want to push anyone over the edge, here, but please note that Eddie is ALSO playing pedals throughout most of the performance. So not only is he a monster with both hands, he probably outplays the vast majority of keyboardists around with his left FOOT. :eek:

Ouch. :(

I'll be at home, in bed, tucked under my blankets if anyone needs me. ;)

SG

no need to comment on his performance, but i'm wondering about the sound.

i'm listening on a crappy laptop speaker, but did the organ sound super 'clicky' to anyone else? - it almost sounded like someone was tap dancing along with every key he played.

also, at 1:50 and 4:20 or so, it looked like a definite camera speed up - either that or it was a 'flashback'.

Originally posted by mildbill:

no need to comment on his performance, but i'm wondering about the sound.

i'm listening on a crappy laptop speaker, but did the organ sound super 'clicky' to anyone else? - it almost sounded like someone was tap dancing along with every key he played.

also, at 1:50 and 4:20 or so, it looked like a definite camera speed up - either that or it was a 'flashback'.

A lot of the noise you're hearing is the actual keyboard action itself... it was recorded on a Canon GL-1, and the organ was played through a Leslie 122; what you're hearing is the directional mic on the Canon picking up the sound of the keybed, while the Leslie is out of frame (to the left, if the stereo imaging is correct).

Also, while we're sharing video of talented organists, here's a link to a promo video for the new Hammond B3. The second-largest file is a whopping 63MB large, but there's some amazing playing to be seen.

Hammond "Concert" Demo

Enjoy,

SG

Originally posted by hammondfan:

Absolutely Amazing! Thank you Thank you. Regarding the click, does he not quit playing for a minute with some click track or something going?

I'm not sure if you're referring to the point in the video at 0:43, but remember, he's playing pedals as well... the pulse you're hearing is the pedals. You can see that he's got the pedal drawbars set to 80...

Regards,

SG (just can't stop watching this video! ;):D )

Also, while we're sharing video of talented organists, here's a link to a promo video for the new Hammond B3. The second-largest file is a whopping 63MB large, but there's some amazing playing to be seen.

Hammond "Concert" Demo

If you can wait for him to go over to the B3 about 17 minutes in, it's a great demo. Before that, I felt like I was watching a shopping mall Lowry organ demo from the 70s. BTW - The full BW version is a 235 Mb file.

Archived