Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard - flight case follow up

Dave Horne

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys play your keyboard in the flight case? I saw a keyboard set up this weekend where the case was in two separate pieces and the keyboard remained in the bottom half.

I went back and looked at pictures of the keyboard I have just ordered (a P250) and the holes for the jacks on the back side of the keyboard seem a bit low and I'm guessing a two piece flight case could cause a problem with the insertion of plugs.

At any rate, how many of you play with the keyboard in the case?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys play your keyboard in the flight case? I saw a keyboard set up this weekend where the case was in two separate pieces and the keyboard remained in the bottom half.

I went back and looked at pictures of the keyboard I have just ordered (a P250) and the holes for the jacks on the back side of the keyboard seem a bit low and I'm guessing a two piece flight case could cause a problem with the insertion of plugs.

At any rate, how many of you play with the keyboard in the case?

I've seen people do that but I always thought the board came built into the flight case. Seems like otherwise the foam would make the thing absorb energy and lose you speed.

Dave,

I don't believe this would be a good thing to attempt other than with a Doepfer or Oberheim controller that has the flight case grafted onto the keyboard.

For starters, consider the weight factor of lifting the already heavy P250 inside of its case onto a stand. That would be something like 125 lbs. Also, there is the problem with the cable jacks not having enough clearance due to the case being in the way. Not to mention you risk damaging the keyboard every time you lift off and replace that top cover...not to mention the risk of injuring your hands on the front lip of the case that protrudes under the keys.

All around, this sounds to me like something to avoid.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

Dave,

I don't believe this would be a good thing to attempt other than with a Doepfer or Oberheim controller that has the flight case grafted onto the keyboard.

For starters, consider the weight factor of lifting the already heavy P250 inside of its case onto a stand. That would be something like 125 lbs. Also, there is the problem with the cable jacks not having enough clearance due to the case being in the way. Not to mention you risk damaging the keyboard every time you lift off and replace that top cover...not to mention the risk of injuring your hands on the front lip of the case that protrudes under the keys.

All around, this sounds to me like something to avoid.

Regards,

Eric

The output location for a 1/4 jack is at a bad location - too low, and that would cause a problem. The weight of the case wouldn't be a problem for my keyboard stand but the possibility of damaging the instrument when placing the top half would be a real concern.

I've already ordered my case and am ordering the one piece with a piano hinge design.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived