Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just curious: samples in film scores

Anyone know which samples the likes of Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard use when composing orchestral film scores? Do they have their own custom sample libraries, or do they use commercially available sample labraries. A bit of both? The new Vienna Symphonic Library looks promising... Anyone? Hans, James, you here? ;)

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, YOU ARE WHITE CHOCLOLATE!!! (I clicked "view recent posts" and got [url=http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003449]this thread with your lame Rack pic [/url] Knock this shit off, please. Post as yourself. Pick ONE name, not a celeb, and post about music. No humor for a while. Please. You are not funny. You are a distraction. Please stop.

I've heard it, but wasn't too impressed. Don't get me wrong, I thought it sounded alright, but I can't imagine that he's used those samples on actual movie scores... Anyway, it seems that the Garritian Orchestral Strings library, and the Vienna Symphonic library are much better, at 1/4 - 1/2 the price.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

[quote]Originally posted by Joachim P. Dyndale: [b]I've heard it, but wasn't too impressed. Don't get me wrong, I thought it sounded alright, but I can't imagine that he's used those samples on actual movie scores... Anyway, it seems that the Garritian Orchestral Strings library, and the Vienna Symphonic library are much better, at 1/4 - 1/2 the price.[/b][/quote]Which samples did you hear ? And how do you put a price on a library that's been built over the last 10 years ? Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Zimmer uses custom samples of the London Symphony Orch. Dream on about obtaining these. They keep them under lock and key. Even if you could obtain them it would be quite illegal as they have a very strict licensing agreement that kicks money to the LSO every time those samples are used in a production. That's the only way a world class orchestra would agree to be sampled. A couple of notable composers (including JNH) recently went in on creating a new private library that is being called the Moscow Library. I've heard that it makes Zimmers stuff look like a toy. In regards to libraries you can actually use, VSL looks very interesting...but the downside is that you have do to all of your own panning and ambience. The other new contender will be the Quantum Leap Symphonic Library distrubuted by East/West. This one sampled the sections in place (panning) in a hall. This is how the Zimmer and the Moscow stuff was approached. These two new libraries have many different price points but they all are on the high side ranging from 1800 all the way up to 10,000 for the full VSL. Obviously aimed at the pro composer who can justify the cost with work and/or money saved on live sessions. Currently, there are no complete orchestra libraries (most recent ones being Miroslav and Advanced Orchestra) but most folks are using combinations of The Garritan strings, Sonic Implants Strings, Dan Dean Woodwinds, SAM horns, Dan Dean Brass, London Orchestral Percussion, etc... For more in-depth on sample libraries visit the northernsounds.com forums and check out the Sample Libraries forums. Libraries and gigastudio are the main focus there. Hope that's helpful!

Archived