Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MidiQuest 9?

jonboy

Hi guys,

I've been playing organ for years, have recently gotten into setting up a modest amateur home studio with a few synths, filters, effects, etc.,

and a PC. Now I'm looking for an editor/librarian, but especially an editor to make programming my Wavestation a little easier.

Soundquest's MidiQuest 9 looks like it would fit my needs nicely, supports almost every piece I own, even the KMX 8x8 midi patchbays! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this program & can offer an opinion before I plunk down the two bills. Thanks for your help...

jonboy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, anyone that knows about this share.

I too would like an all in one PC editor for my gear, but the price of the MIDI Quest is so high!

Does anyone know where I could buy one of the earlier versions?

They're never on eBay.

Carl

Hi, I have owned and used Midiquest XL (actually the version that's even more expensive than 9) for about a month. While I find it to be a little bit clunky, it does the job of cataloguing and backing up patches pretty well. The editing windows for programming are also pretty good and they are customized for different synths.

Not all synths are supported, however--check the www.squest.com website to ensure that all or most of your boards are on there.

I bought the XL version so that I could use it within Cubase SX, to call up patches whenever I wanted. It's working, which is the most I can ask!

The manual is pretty good too. It takes a while to get used to the Midiquest way of archiving your patches, and the manual does a good job of explaining things.

Before buying Midiquest 9, I'd recommend trying the demo at www.squest.com--with the comment that the manual really helps you get accustomed to the Midiquest way of doing things.

In summary, it's not the slickest program out there, but it is nicely functional--and I can't think of a competing program that offers an editor/librarian for virtually all your synths.

Good luck!

Ben

I didn't have any major headaches with MidiQuest 9 until I bought Roland XV-5050 two weeks ago. The program just doesn't "see" it and so far I couldn't transmit the instrument's data to a computer.

It would be highly appreciated if somebody familiar with specifics of XV-5050's MIDI behavior would share them with me.

My midi interface is AMT 8 (the XV is connected to the port 5). I can play XV from my controller (Ensoniq TS-10) keyboard without problems, so it seems that at least it responds to MIDI...

(Yes, I contacted SoundQuest support and they suggested installing XV-5050 from their site, not from the installation CD. I did so, but nothing changed...)

But yeah, so far MQ was a great tool for archiving, organizing and editing patches for my synths, especially for my older Ensoniq synths, TS-10 and SD-1.

I am back.

Archived