Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone recommend a good digital recorder?

Synthoid

So far I've heard the Korg D1600MKII and the Tascam 2488 are good in the "under $1500" price bracket. Anything else.....reasons why please?

Thanks.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have used the Mackie MDR 24 for the last two years. Five dozen projects and it still kicks. No maintainance to date. I have lots of outboard gear though and primarily use it as a replacement for my old tape based 8 track. The people who run stuff back and forth from the computer say it's a bit dicey to operate. I have the analog I/Os and the sound is spectacular and the environment is stable. The digital I/O people aren't as kind to the machine. Just my $.02

Great googly moogly!!

http://www.inthechipsproduction.com

Hmmmm, OK, but that's not the type of recorder I'm looking for. I like mixer style units with a built-in CD burner. Also, the recorder needs to have at least a 40 gig HD.

I should have been more specific....these units are considered "digital multi-track studios."

korg, yamaha, roland, tascam, fostex, akai, etc. all make good recorders.

they're all similar but may have specific features that you like.

a few years back i was deciding between the akai dps16 and the korg d1600 and went with the d1600 for a few reasons - it uses standard hard drives (not scsi), it had the input/output connectors i was looking for, phantom power, a touch screen that's great to work with, and plenty of fx, and a few other reasons that don't come to mind right now.

you'll just have to look for what features you want.

Originally posted by mildbill:

korg, yamaha, roland, tascam, fostex, akai, etc. all make good recorders.

they're all similar but may have specific features that you like.

a few years back i was deciding between the akai dps16 and the korg d1600 and went with the d1600 for a few reasons - it uses standard hard drives (not scsi), it had the input/output connectors i was looking for, phantom power, a touch screen that's great to work with, and plenty of fx, and a few other reasons that don't come to mind right now.

you'll just have to look for what features you want.

I would like a unit that can recorsd MIDI as well as sound. I asked a Roland rep about that once and he wanted to lecture me about how you had to feed MIDI through a module, etc to get actual music - like duh.

Anyone have one that can eat MIDI as well? And I don't mean using an inbuilt sound module - I want to capture the actual MIDI plus various audio tracks.

I have a 1st gen D1600 and I love it. Best thing is that it is a DOS compatible file format, so it can export to WAV, which I do to bring the files into the PC for mastering... I put a DVD burner in it so I can back up large song files without spanning disks.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Synthoid:

So far I've heard the Korg D1600MKII and the Tascam 2488 are good in the "under $1500" price bracket. Anything else.....reasons why please?

Thanks.

Just purchased the Korg D1600mkII a few weeks ago. I have been very happy with this machine. If you check out KorgStudios.com you will find a wealth of information and support from a friendly group of people that will make you life with the recorder much easier. Having this knowledge base at you fingertips made my decision to go with the Korg (along with it's excellent sound quality).

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Hi There,

I saw a "blurb" someplace for the new Tascam Portastudio, which features audio AND Midi recording.

This could really address a lot of my concerns; you should check it out. (I think I saw it in this month's Keyboard)

Big T from NY

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Yes I have, but after pricing a maxed out laptop, interfaces, mixer, cables and software, the Tascam 2488 with 24 tracks ($1150) is a whole lot cheaper and hopefully more durable.

Besides, I love computer technology for my business (graphic design) but when it comes to music, I prefer hardware over any software-based stuff. Much more warm and real. Get those softsynths OUTTA HERE!

Archived