Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

Cool-someone I work with came in this morning and put a folk guitar on my desk-`please play something in class tomorrow`. This job has its moments. By far my #1 issue is sleep-it`s like something I used to know how to do and forgot. It`s like, when people start sleeping and the world gets quiet, my mind gets active. Then the next morning I once again vow to get more sleep-sure.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quoted by dBunny [quote] Back in my twenties, I used to do this strange thing every night. At a somewhat reasonable hour in the late evening, I would brush my teeth, partially disrobe, and lie down in a horizontal position on top of a bed, with a blanket draped over me, and a pillow under my head. I would then drift into an unconscious state, in which I would remain, lying still, for up to eight or nine hours. If I recall correctly, this nocturnal process would rejuvenate me, giving me abundant energy and enthusiasm. These days, I forego the sleep. I must, after all, make music. [/quote]Brilliant!And Weewus is trying to make out like he's the genius.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

At work I try to practice parts in my head,I try to write songs in my mind,I play drums on the workbench,in a noisey area I sing my arse off cos I know no body can hear.I work in one of the biggest shit holes on earth,we use millions of tons of coal in our process,but I'm not complaining cos it's a job and I've bought heaps of stuff for my studio out of it.I wear a face mask,glasses,ear muffs and a Carbon Monoxide monitor,so I got all the hazzards covered.In my smoko breaks sometimes I can log on the net via our intranet and check out EQ mag forums,what more could you ask for?
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Great thread. I'm an early career college professor, which means, like other PMC professions, I work all the time. "Vacations" from teaching are really "opportunities" to write and publish, etc. etc. I work a good 60 hours a week (and more, some weeks). So how do I find time to make music? Do it with other people. This is one place where the do-everything-yourself singer-songwriter-engineer-producer is at a real disadvantage. I have a single bandmate, and we have a time every week set aside to make music. We don't get tons of material written or recorded, but we've managed to produce an almost-40-minute-long CD in the last year and will track three more songs before he heads off to London for three months. But I think it's the schedule thing that makes it possible. I've been working on a "solo" project for three years that's seen little progress. We'll see if I do better this spring while my main partner in crime is away. . . . Best, --JES

Archived