Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great topic. So many people are in the same boat. I've got an old beater electric guitar that I keep in my car. In the warmer months, I go to a park a couple of blocks away from where I work & sit under a tree and work on songs-in-progress, play scales & exercises, etc. In the winter I'll sit in the car & play. I used to use an old Zoom to play through but ever since the proprietary battery croaked, I just do without. And (with a couple of exceptions), I don't really have any hobbies or time consuming activities that aren't musically related.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by The Ghost of Jeebus past: [b]I lie to my boss. He thinks Logic is a program to keep track of investments. I also take 4 months off a year, which I am able to do since I cheat on my taxes with a phony identity. Last year the government paid me $20,000 not to grow corn.[/b][/quote]You're crackin' me up seriously... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Good topic - Im interested to hear what folks say. I work on lyrics at my desk during slow periods or during lunch. ( or log onto this forum as Im doing right now) If Im really fired up about a song I just burn the candle at both ends - You cant create any time ya know. The other perspective on this (conceptually) is that Im trying to be more selective up-front about the songs I take the time to create demos of. I no longer produce a demo of every song I dream up. There are a few that I've left sitting for quite a while. Even tho I may like the concept I try and apply a higher standard to answwer "is this one really worth doing? . I try and be more efficient with my studio time in other ways as well. For instance, Im spending a bit less time trying to do better/fancier production. ( emphasis on "trying"). Instead I try to focus on the songs. I dont' do "bare bones" demos - but that extra 10% of production value can take an extra 50% of time - if you let it.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I write songs at my desk, type them out, and arranged, when I cant do it at home. Not without listening to a CD of the track though. I do tracks fairly fast (when I'm in the groove) I know what I want, then I make a 2 track of it intro--verse--chorus---verse--chorus--etc.... write at work ---- fix it up at home after taking care of my son, the misses, and eating --- then it's "DADDY's TIME" and bam another hit but it is heard conentrating with the phone ringing

I can write lyrics and melodies anywhere as long as there isn't a radio playing. The kids are usually in bed when I get home, so I have a little time after work to play. And I'm on a 3 day swing shift, which gives me 4 days off a week. Course, I end up chasing 2 toddlers around most of those days.
I really don't know what to put here.

Much like Silver Bells I try and do as much as I can when the kids go to sleep. Lunch Hours and slow period at work are filled with logging on to these forum pages or covering some music theory book with a Unix Shell Power Tools ,Oracle Performance Tuning or some such O'Reilly computer volume. I'm spending less time online these days as we try and get some music together for church. As tired as I am from trying to practice or play when everyone else is asleep I'm loving every minute of it. Now if I can keep my butt from draggin' the floor right after lunch ....

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I juggle everything and sleep very little. I love it. Someday, I'll die poor and in great pain. This thread tells this past weekend's story, for example. http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009630

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Great Topic Hank, I just started teaching again about a month or so ago. The best advice I can give so far is to try to be as organized as possible in almost every aspect of your life. The more organized I am, the easier it is to adapt to the many the situations and curve balls life bring you. But more importantly, IT SAVES A WHOLE LOT OF TIME. I think we should all keep re-digging this thread when any of us have had breakthroughs in the modern day juggling act. And even if you're out of work, if you're watching a toddler you're in the same bag. I'm speaking from experience here people. Good Luck, Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I find breakfast is a time I can write lyrics (which have usually come to me while in the shower). I study cover material (which is most of what I do) by listening at work and playing in the evenings. My wife isn't always thrilled (poor girl - she actually wants to spend time with me !!). Mostly I wish I had more time to dedicate to this... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm in high school it's really hard to do stuff like that I almost got caught for trying to get into my car and work on something during a free period (we're not aloud to leave school grounds) the principal went on lunchbreak and saw me and started to chase me around but i got away YAY FOR MEEEE!

Those like me out there with 9 to 5 jobs who love their work and do relatively well....count your blessings. :thu: The live music gigging business is more fucked up than I could imagine it ever getting....from back to 25 years ago when I was pro for a short time....till now. Most local musicians I know...and I mean fairly talented individuals....have to "prostitute" themselves to make the bucks....and the BIGGER bucks are in weddings, etc....or imitating "wall paper" and just be a "nice noise" in the backround. Real outlet there for artistic expression. :rolleyes: And most of the club owners are hanging on for dear life down here. :eek: What a fucking mess. Damn, folks used to go out to dance to real bands...I mean not that long ago...and ALSO, long ago....get dressed up.....grab a table.....watch REAL talent....fucking wasted/dumbed down music appreciating populace out there nowadays. In answer to the topic query...I set up a 50 caliber machine gun mounted to my Kurzweil to keep "intruders" (family) out of my area. :D :D :D :(

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Well... I work at home. No commute, and I can take a break if I get inspired to write a song or do some recording. I've also kept my expenses quite frugal, so at this point I only have to work part time. A home based business is a great thing for a musician. When I did work in an office, it was tougher. I got a lot less sleep. :D Still, I would sometimes just sort of space out while doing my work and get ideas for songs. I'd scribble them down somewhere and continue working on them when I got home. Most evenings and weekends I played. I don't know how some of you guys manage to get any music done with a full time job, a spouse and kids. I can't imagine, although our drummer does it... then again he just has to show up and play drums a couple of nights a week, he doesn't write the songs or engineer or book the band!

[quote]Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present: [b] [quote]Originally posted by The Ghost of Jeebus past: [b]I lie to my boss. He thinks Logic is a program to keep track of investments. I also take 4 months off a year, which I am able to do since I cheat on my taxes with a phony identity. Last year the government paid me $20,000 not to grow corn.[/b][/quote]You're crackin' me up seriously... :D [/b][/quote]Hey thanks Tedster, just telling it like it is. ;)

Back in my twenties, I used to do this strange thing every night. At a somewhat reasonable hour in the late evening, I would brush my teeth, partially disrobe, and lie down in a horizontal position on top of a bed, with a blanket draped over me, and a pillow under my head. I would then drift into an unconscious state, in which I would remain, lying still, for up to eight or nine hours. If I recall correctly, this nocturnal process would rejuvenate me, giving me abundant energy and enthusiasm. These days, I forego the sleep. I must, after all, make music. And, ultimately, you can sleep when you die. :D

Hey... its been years since I last grew corn, Uncle Sam's awta give me almost $400,000 ANyways, when I had a 9-5 over the summer I got most of playing in at gigs (1-3 gigs per weekend) and a little at night during the week. Now that I'm in college (more like 28hrs a day ;) ) I'm lucky if I have time to eat and sleep in the same day (if only it could be done at the same time). Now my new Warwick gets polished more than played :cry: Just 2 more days, just 2 more days...

I guess I figured this one out early in life...I became a full time musician. I usually have all day to record, hang with my family and create my own schedule. I love my job and my life. I have the best of both worlds, personally and career wise. The only negative, "if you want to live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn." Thats a quote from Motley Crue I remembered because its so true. Peace, Ernest

Uhm, up at 04:45. Do the (old, original) SSS, 45 minutes to work, bang it hard all day & mostly don't get home until 5:00 or so. Then it's listen to the kids fight with their mother, try to keep the new pup from crapping all over the house, check email & this freaking place & then, then, MAYBE I get a chance to do something for my music. Life's a bitch, then you die. :eek:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

If I have a free period at work I either log on here or work on lyrics. In a way I`m glad I don`t have a home computer (at least not yet) cause I`d spend too much time chatting. Actually, this job sometimes provides opportunities to play in the classroom-and being that this is not the U.S. I don`t have to worry about getting lectured about the song topics I choose. Graphic stuff is out but for artists-anything goes, including my originals.

[quote]Originally posted by The Ghost of Bergers Past: [b]Uhm, up at 04:45. Do the (old, original) SSS, 45 minutes to work, bang it hard all day & mostly don't get home until 5:00 or so. Then it's listen to the kids fight with their mother, try to keep the new pup from crapping all over the house, check email & this freaking place & then, then, MAYBE I get a chance to do something for my music. Life's a bitch, then you die. :eek: [/b][/quote]Dang, Dak! Except for the pup, I bet you and I could trade places and not miss a beat :D

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I commute by train, so a laptop with Logic and some soft synths affords me the opportunity to try out ideas. I've done some complete compositions start to finish on the train. (Don't try this in your car. :D ) Sometimes, I'll listen to rough mixes in the car for a different perspective, but mostly I listen to news radio in the car so I don't have to watch the news or check the weather when I get home. I try to watch as little TV as possible. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get through a day without a dose of Sports Center. :D At least I'm watching highlights instead of complete games.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I work from home but am in extreme crunch mode right now, which is why you haven't seen any posts from me lately. Hope nobody has missed me too severely... ;) On the bright side, I just got a new dual 867 G4, so that should help me be more efficient when I do have time to work on some music :thu:

I have to agree with everyone. Working from 7:30 to 5:00 is a bit of a drag, only because it doesn't involve the music industry. Sometimes, and it is rare, someone actually will talk to me at work about music. Unfortunately it's short lived since I'm an inside sales person, and constantly have my phone ringing off the hook. (So like why can't they ask for someone else?) Anyway by the time you get home, there's stuff around the house to take care of, and then sign on to the pc, and check out the forums. The only way I get anything done is make sure I reserve my lunchtime for myself, and take care of whatever I can at the moment. It's incredibly hard especially since once you do get going, your time suddenly is used up, and it's back to the old grind. I've got an old keyboard that I'm thinking of taking into work, and setting it up in the conference room (which is rarely used) where I can at least work on my chops. Can't let those go to pot. Back when I was young and foolish (ok, so now I'm old and foolish) I was able to handle the short sleeping periods of three to four hours a night, but after a long, long time, it does finally get to you. Oh well, maybe someday.........maybe LOL And let's not forget the holidays when shopping is a necessity, getting gifts, birthdays, etc,etc,etc. Just how long ago was it when I was young.......uh, let's not go there LOL :)

Erlic

[quote]Originally posted by Jedi: [b]Great Topic Hank, I just started teaching again about a month or so ago. The best advice I can give so far is to try to be as organized as possible in almost every aspect of your life. Dead Black Jedis[/b][/quote]Jedi - stay organized??? You jest. I mean we are talking about musicians here. :D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by Kendrixquote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Jedi: Great Topic Hank, I just started teaching again about a month or so ago. The best advice I can give so far is to try to be as organized as possible in almost every aspect of your life. Dead Black Jedis -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jedi - stay organized??? You jest. I mean we are talking about musicians here. [/quote]LOL. Boy, I feel you. All my life I was a bit of a mess. I guess it comes from being in the "right" brain so much. How ironic that now I look pretty organized to my fellow workers. I bet my students think I'm a stickler for organization. Funny stuff. I'm really like an addict in recovery. But I tell you, it works. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Archived