Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES vs. K 2661

TRC

I purchased a Motif ES last week when I was told that the Kurzweil wouldn't load other samples due to the fact that the sample option was delayed or may not come out. Since then I've been informed by the company that it will be available and you don't need the sampling option to load 3rd party sounds. What do you guys think about my decision. I liked then internal piano and organs better on the Kurzweil...the strings are nice....alot of the internals don't blow me away.. the Motif offers so many more sounds but I'm unsure of any other 3rd party samples available except the ones on their site which are limited considering the history of the Kurzweil keys. Any input?

Thanks,

Tim

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kurzweils can also load other sample types like akai and roland as long as you have some sample ram in it, and your programming options are deeper.

but the motif es comes with a lot more to work with right out of the box.

you can't go wrong with either one really.

Enjoy your Motif. The Kurzweil is a great board, but has limited polyphony and dated technology. We've got a lot of respect for Kurzweil, but were amazed they didn't offer a really NEW workstation at the shows.

Hopefully their new VA synth will bring some fresh air into the company.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

To second mildbill, the K2661 -will- allow you to load samples (indeed it accepts many formats) without the sampling option. In fact, you can load, edit, save, reload all samples without the sampling option. What the sampling option does add is:

- sampling of analog audio

- live mode (route and process any live audio signal through the K2661's VAST synthesis engine and KDFX)

- RAM tracks: record audio into the K2661's sequencer.

Both the K2661 and Motif ES are powerful axes. When you're after fast results and you like the Motif's factory goodies, go for (or in your case, stick to) the Motif. If you're after long term editing, sound-wise creativity and a sheer unlimited sonic potential, go for the K2661. If you have enough money, get both.

Paul Dillen

DLN Sound - FM sounds for Kurzweil *NEW* Forte, PC3, PC2, PC1 and K2 series

with the sampling option, the 2661 also gives you access to a vocoder. (at least it does on the 2600, not sure about the 2661, but i don't think the sampling option is even available yet).

with the ES, you can add plug-in boards, such as the vocal harmony board, plg150AN - (VA), plg150DX - (DX7), and many others.

I'm gonna compare the units again today. What do you guys think of the organ in the 2661? Also...are people still putting out sample cd's for Kurzweil...ie...on the level of some of the software based stuff or have they given up on the company for sitting idol for so long.

Tim

Checked out the 2661 again today. The kb3 organ is nice, Gets the job done....is very flexible if you want to figure out all the parameters......sounds very nice..... doesn't blow me away given the number of modern organ emulators out there. It also didn't help that there was a Nord Electro 2 next to it. Suffice it to say that after 3 hours of comparing the 2661 and ES6 I decided to keep the Motif. Tomorrow I'm ordering the Coakley piano for it...64 megs....he just finished a best of cd.....then I'm getting the electro. Trust me...the organs and lelie simulation in this thing is the best I've heard. The wurly and roads were as nice as the Kurzweil...and yes..I heard the expansion card on a 2600. Just couldn't see spending 900-1100 extra to get a sampler and a couple expansion cards for the kurz. Rather put it into the electro. Not to say I wouldn't get the 2661 down the road......after a 30 minutes inside the thing....I was like wow...it is powerful and has the ability to to make endless custom patches....but that's not where I'm am at the moment. By the way..these will be used live on ocassion...if this wasn't the case... Kontakt,GIGA or the native bundle would be next. Kinda bummed in a way...I've lusted for a Kurzweil throughout the 90's but spent my money putting a studio together. Nice to go for new keys rather than Neve or API.

Tim

Originally posted by TRC:

I'm gonna compare the units again today. What do you guys think of the organ in the 2661? Also...are people still putting out sample cd's for Kurzweil...ie...on the level of some of the software based stuff or have they given up on the company for sitting idol for so long.

Tim,

People have been complaining for some time about the lack of native sound libraries for the software based stuff. Giga is a notable exception. It has had longevity. I think the current state of affairs is partly why softsampler developers have included the ability to port in standard hardware sampler formats like S1000.

Basic consistency in the operating systems of the K2000/K2500/K2600/K2661 does not necessarily signify lack of progress. The programming depth of the K2x00 is really more a matter of soundware design than hardware and operating system advances. VAST is still very much a state of the art technology with many aspects that have yet to be fully explored. I've been programming the K2x00 series for over 10 years and there is still lots more to be done.

~Peter Schouten

Pyramid Sound Productions

Peter-

I agree with you. The 2661 rocks. It will definitly be on my short list. What a deep unit. I'm wondering if they'll come out with a 88 key weighted 2661. That would be awesome.

Tim

It would be cool, but I wouldn't count on it. The K2661 is essentially the same machine as the K2600X 88-key version. The audio quality of the K2661 is a little better, and connectivity is a little different, but the other "new" features can be had simply by installing expansion boards and new ROM patches into any K2600. The K2600X is certainly just as deep an instrument.

Who knows, though. When Kurzweil discontinues the K2600, we might see some "bundle" deals including expansion ROM's, the P-RAM upgrade, and maximum sample memory. I have no "insider" info on this, but looking at the K2661's stock features, this kind of deal wouldn't surprise me.

Keven Spargo, Sound Designer

www.ksounds.com

Quality sounds for Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and Kontakt formats

• 2 weeks later...

OK OK!! Had some buyers remorse. Got to give the motif es a good workout in the studio. Then got the 2661 in there as well. No contest. The Motif had a ton of sounds....but they didn't sit in the mix like the 2661. You just have to get into programming it. It is a monster once you get under the hood. I really like the motif for some stuff and may get one at another point...but I'd rather keep the Kurz and put another grand in it ,,sampling...2 rom cards.....etc...it's worth it. Anyway...Thanks for all the input gang...you all were very helpful.

Tim

I read in keyboard mag that Mike Garson uses a Kurz K2600 to "cop" all his sounds with Bowie over the years. I am possibly thinking about pickinbg one of these up. I Don't know a whole a lot about synthesis. I am a performer/writer, but I am into analog synth sounds and love fm stuff as well. Would you guys reccomend the k2661 for that kind of thing?

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

Archived