Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which laptop for music?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check the system requirements for all software before purchasing a new computer. Lots of RAM is extremely important, obviously. We've heard many people complain of latency issues.
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm using an iBook G4 w/M-audio FW410 and it's GREAT! Tomorrow is (finally!) Logic Pro day! I keep u guys posted...

The Mac/PC decision depends on if you already have got lots of apps for either one of 'em. I don't know much about PC laptops, but the G4 iBook RAWKS.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

With tweaking, my Toshiba does just fine with Sonar 3 and Gigastudio, CS-80v, etc.

P4 1.8 gig, 1 gig RAM, two firewire external drives.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I've heard bad things about Sony Vaio models regarding hw interfacing and pci bandwidth.

Here is an interesting thread(5 pages) on laptops for music in the Planet Z forums for the Creamware products, that considers many aspects, like the use of magma chassis with soundcards, that is such a task that if well performed, for sure indicates a very good laptop for audio:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=9865&forum=3&95

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I am using the Sony V505BX which is maybe one year old. You will find new models in the V505 range. I like this model because it works very well as a portable, stage laptop with the small 12" screen and small footprint. One issue with many PC laptops is that you can get lots of hum when the power supply is connected. This is not an issue with the Sony, it's extremely quiet. The only problem that I have had with the unit is that I had to disable the wireless networking as it created a audible click ~ once a minute.

These are excellent computers with a high build quality. Mine has been 100% reliable and I'm always carting it around to gigs and practice.

Busch.

I haven't used the VAIOs for music, but when I installed DSL, every VAIO I ran across was a nightmare install. I could understand hardware conflicts in a desktop, where the owner might have worked on it, but you expect a laptop to be configured as to avoid these. This was several years ago, so we're talking about a completely different set of hardware, but some of the design decisions are doubtless the same. Given the previous comment, they may have made some tradeoffs that aren't to your advantage.

Not to be a broken record, but....Alienware makes strong laptops.

I use both a Sony laptop (PCG-FX190k) and desktop (PCV-RX560) for music production. The desktop is the better of the two by far. The video display output interferes with the audio on the laptop such that I "hear" SONAR tracking through screens. I'll eventually get an external sound card for the laptop, but for now, I do all analog recording on the desktop.

I personally use an iBook (800Mhz, G3) but I'm regretting it since I need to upgrade my RAM by lots.

Good luck with the Sony, I hear good things about their laptops.

Btw, Mike Martin, good name.

Regards,

Michael J Martin

My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

The general consensus is that there will be about six (total) new Powerbooks and iBooks released this Monday or Tuesday. Usually the rumors are BS, but it looks like total agreement on this. I might buy one of these new iBooks to replace my aging G4 dual 500, at least to hold me over until G5 Powerbooks start shipping.

MacRumors

MacNN

ThinkSecret

O\'Grady\'s Power Page

Originally posted by mjm:

I personally use an iBook (800Mhz, G3) but I'm regretting it since I need to upgrade my RAM by lots.

Good luck with the Sony, I hear good things about their laptops.

Btw, Mike Martin, good name.

Regards,

Michael J Martin

Today new iBooks were released with a max of 1,25 GB RAM! :cool:

If there isn't anything changed in the design, it must be possible to upgrade our old iBooks.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

I just ordered a PowerBook 1.5Ghz with SuperDrive to replace my G4 dual 500. I was thinking about a new iBook but I could use the additional power and screen size of the PB. I just couldn't wait for a G5 PB anymore. ;)

Archived