Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyplace on the web with lists of synth waveforms?

:eek: Okay, I guess I am more of a synth geek than is good for me...

But if I wanted to compare the waveform ROMs of, say, a D70, a JD990, and a JV880--or an SY77, an SY85, and an SY99--or perhaps an 0/1w, an X2, and an N5ex---

---WHERE WOULD I GO??? :confused:

These units do turn up on ebay from time to time, and it would be nice to have this information :o

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I haven't seen anything like what you are looking for. You might try contacting the Audio Playground in Florida. They have a HUGE collection of vintage synths--might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.keyboardmuseum.com/play.html

Phone: (407) 628-2119

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

For most of the synths you mentioned, I think it's about the samples rather than the waveform. Even simple sawtooth and square waveforms are probably based on samples.

I have a D-70 and it's pretty much all samples.

So if you got sample CD's from the various manufactures, loaded then into your favorite DAW or software sampler, you'd be able to look at the waveforms.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

But if I wanted to compare the waveform ROMs of, say, a D70, a JD990, and a JV880--or an SY77, an SY85, and an SY99--or perhaps an 0/1w, an X2, and an N5ex---
Many manufacturers have this information in the manual. If the manual is online somewhere you can see the list of waveforms.

Unfortunately some of these lists can be misleading. In some models there are subtle differences. M1, T-series, 01/W, Wavestation for example have some waveforms in common but there are still some subtle differences in them.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

This information is tough to get a hold of, but check out www.synthzone.com

and browse by manufacturer. Many of the links are dead, but a good many of the fansites still exist.

I noticed you named quite a few Roland/Korg Models, Korg was very bad about releasing 2 or 3 synths with the smae engine that are incompatible patch wise. For Example M1/T1/M3R/M1-EX. However If you are just looking to add a good solid generator to your set they still stand the test of time with a few tweaks and some programming. I am one of the bigger evangelists around on using older Romplers to round out modern or retro setups. (BTW, I do plan to have something ready for the next KC comp)

Also be prepared to buy some new lithium Batteries for those older synths.

Andy

The Magician

Originally posted by mildbill:

which manufacturers sell cd's of their waveforms?.

I was mainly talking about sample libraries. But Emu had their SoundFont software out, and most companies include some basic waveforms on the CD's that come with samplers.

Like if you buy a Yamaha sampler don't they give you the sounds on CD?

But beyond all that, if you wanted to compare the waveforms of these different machines, why not just use your ears?

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived