Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings

Dave Morehouse

Hi,

I have a Mackie 24 track MDR recorder a 24 track analog board and a bunch of outboard gear. I also have a Roland EP7 keyboard. What can I purchase do get a GOOD string/orchestral sound? I would like analog outputs but it's not mandatory. I have a lot of experience (13 years) with my equipment and acoustic music but would like to be able to add a track or two with a strong orchestral sound. Thanks, Dave.

Great googly moogly!!

http://www.inthechipsproduction.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave & welcome to the forum!

I'm certain that you'll get many great opinions here, so I'll add mine first: Get a KURZWEIL.

Kurzweil makes the best-sounding instruments for emulating acoustic sounds that you'll find in any rompler. Their strings are great. I'm also a big fan of their piano sounds.

I'm using a PC2X now, but also own a K2000 and 1000PX rack. I don't plan to sell them because all three have unique sounds that I really enjoy.

There are going to be quite a few forumites who will want to discuss Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Gigasampler, and others. Those are OK, I guess. :rolleyes::) I simply wanted to get my vote in first! :D:thu:

Stick around, Dave. This should be good! :)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you want a module, I'll add to the Kurzweil love. I'm using the Orchestra ROM in my K2500RS for the strings and horns on a project right now. You might find a used PC2R-O somewhere online. It's the rack version of the PC2X that Gas mentioned, and the "O" designation means it comes with the Orchestra ROM.

Do you have a decent computer? If so, Garritan Personal Orchestra is a good buy for around $250. As much as I like the Kurzweil strings, I might pick up GPO for this current project.

You really can't go wrong with the Kurzweil PC2R w/Orchestral expansion. Also - look into a way to justify the Kurx AND the Roland SRX orchestral cards. That would be sweet. You'd have to get a Rolad unit, obviously, to use the cards.

GPO is really nice...although I'm still a fan of 'outboard' gear. As much as I use computers...I just can't wrap my head around the whole 'softsytnh' thing and its reliability.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

ELP71--I agree about the softsynth issue. I wrote about that on another forum:

"To think of what would take place if the softsynth market replaced the real thing.

Look what happened when graphic design software came on the scene. Many smaller companies ran out to buy programs like Microsoft Publisher and fired their ad agency. The result? Tacky brochures with 50+ fonts, blurry photographs and kindergarten graphics. And after while, everyone and his mother had a pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop--with hardly a clue what it was or how to use it.

Is that where we want the world of music to be heading? Where every 13 year old has pirated copies of 100 softsynths, and would-be musicians only have to invest $100 for a MIDI controller and download another "free" copy of their favorite vintage synth? I certainly hope not."

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

OK. I'll do the "non-Kurz" suggestion. Hold off for a Roland Fantom XR, put in the string and orchestral ROM's, and load it up with sample memory. Then get the two Roland sample CD's for orchestra and you have a decent hardware unit. Maybe the best non-software solution.

GPO may be the best, cheap software solution.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

use anything that has RAM and can read sample cdroms. And then you pick what you like out of the over-whelming choice of orchestral strings cdroms. Triton,Motif,Fantom or softsampler option..

My personal favorite is old Roland Orch Family Strings cdrom. It can be transfered to AKAI or Kontakt of course ...

i own Siedlacek Advanced Orchestra, but strings are not it's forte.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Originally posted by Dave Morehouse:

Hi,

I have a Mackie 24 track MDR recorder a 24 track analog board and a bunch of outboard gear. I also have a Roland EP7 keyboard. What can I purchase do get a GOOD string/orchestral sound? I would like analog outputs but it's not mandatory. I have a lot of experience (13 years) with my equipment and acoustic music but would like to be able to add a track or two with a strong orchestral sound. Thanks, Dave.

I'd like to know more about your application - pop, soundtrack, classical, new age, dance, etc. - before making a recommendation.

On this type of thread, everyone rushes in with "get Model X" before they know what you're trying to do. Keep that in mind before you blindly follow someone's gear recommendation.

I would suggest that you spend some time in some music stores listening to different products. You can also research sample libraries online. Buy a copy of Keyboard magazine, look at the sample library ads and go to their sites.

By the way, do you have a computer? Make? Model? How old? How much memory?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

WOW! I'm a newbie to this forum and am greatly impressed. I do a lot of acoustic folk and rock on my own but do the occasional pop/classic rock demo for others. I'm most interested in something with a GOOD analog out that I can send straight to my analog Mackie SR24 board and then to my MDR 24 track hard drive. My computer has 4gig of mem and 2 ghz processor. I have an Audigy Platinum Pro hub and card to get stereo digital stuff in to the computer. Once in the computer all I do are cross-fades and save WAV files for my cd duper. (I also go to stereo DAT at the same time for digital backup.) Thanks for the help guys! I can see the edge of the earth (Yes, it really is flat.) and fall off from where I live so music stores are out. Your input is GREATLY appreciated. Dave.

Great googly moogly!!

I would prefer to work without software but will do what I must. ???? If I purchase a Kurzweil PC2R rack model and run a midi cable out from my Roland EP7 keyboard to the MIDI in on the PC2R will this give me the rich sounds I desire???? I know it may be a dumb question but I appreciate your patience with me and your kind responses. If this would work AND sound good I'll buy one this weekend via catalogue. Many thanks in advance, Dave.

Great googly moogly!!

I would definitely go with the Roland solution. You can get an XV-2020 for $599USD (2 outs) or an XV-5050 (4 outs) for $799USD. Both offer 2 SRX expansion slots. You could pick up the Symphonique Strings and Complete Orchestra cards for about $219USD each.

Your total cost would be $1037 and $1237 respectively. This is the best AND cheapest option if you plan on going hardware only. You can hear the cards for yourself at www.rolandus.com

Yet another vote for Roland. I own a Kurzweil myself, and I have to say that apart from the strings, the sounds are a bit lackluster. The Roland SRX Orchestral expansions are superb, and only CD Roms better them. And Roland's effects are fantastic and easy to program. If you could afford it, I'd say get an expanded Kurzweil K2600 and a Fantom X keyboard or rack, and have the best of both worlds.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

I'm not familiar with the other Kurzweil keyboards mentioned here, but I own a Kurzweil MicroPiano, and the legato strings are shockingly lush and full on that little tiny thing. It regularly gets a lot of compliments.

Please excuse my ignorance. My burning question is this. Can I simply run a midi cable from the Roland keyboard to the Roland xv 5050 or the Kurzweil pc2r, play a note on the keyboard, and expect great things to happen? Or is there programming, software setup, inits, etc that need to be attended to first? Thousands of thanx, Dave.

Great googly moogly!!

David,

I think that you could get a LOT of mileage out of a Roland XV-2020, which retails for about 600 bucks, with the optional addition of the Roland SRX04 Sympyhonique Strings expansion board. The SRX06 Complete Orchestra expansion board also features a lot of great sounds. (The XV-2020 will hold two expansion boards.)

If you want to spring for a more full-featured Roland synth, such as the XV-5050 ($800) or the XV-5080 ($1400), you'll have even more options.

I would urge you to check out these products at your local dealer. To my ears, Roland does strings better than the competition, but it's YOUR ears that have to be satisfied.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived