Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Prince in concert Thursday

mate stubb

I saw Prince in Ames, IA Thursday. The concert was in the round, and we had pretty decent seats. While I give the sound and lights a grade of B-, the band was pure A+++ smokin' funk. There were two keyboardists, bass, guitar, drums, and three horn players.

I wasn't close enough to scope the keyboard rigs out in detail, but I saw a Motif or two, a real Rhodes, and a Nord Lead. The guy with the Rhodes and the Nord was featured more than the other keyboardist, and had a solo spot where he played some burning bebop.

It was great hearing a real horn section too! They would tease the audience by breaking into little pieces of "What is Hip" and other classic funk licks in the middle of doing something else.

Prince was the consummate front man as always, although he seems to have mellowed and didn't pull anything outrageous on stage. He played some nice guitar, as well. They played a good mix of funky new stuff from Musicology and older hits (no 1999, however).

Moe

---

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Superbobus:

You can see on the Rave to the Year 2000 DVD that Prince is not gonna play 1999 anymore. That was the last time.

And further more... you lucky bastard! When Prince comes over here, concerts are sold out in less than half an hour.

The concert I went to sold out in 20 minutes, almost 20,000 seats. Prince is doing 5 shows in LA...as far as I know they're all sold out.

Well, just to torture you - the show here did not sell out (although I bought expensive seats 1 hour after they went on sale). The day of the show, Prince directed them to give away tickets to Iowa State students with a valid id. My two daughters ended up getting in for free, but they were across the arena. That was perfect so that they didn't get embarrassed by their parents dancing and carrying on.

Moe

---

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Renato is a pretty darn good keyboard player. (er, he's the one who had the jazzy solo spot

Hold on, aren't we talking about Renato Neto? I would not be surprised, I used to go see him play with the Straigth Jackets, that dude is scary on the keys. He would rip on funk, latin jazz, straight bop etc etc etc ...

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

yeah I was being a little facetious...of course he's a lot better than 'pretty good'...he jams

Oh no I wasn't questioning your assesment of Renato's talent, I was just wondering if it was the same Renato that I knew from the Marco Mendoza band.

Archived