Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what are rompler samples from

Yahoo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FM? No, not usually, at least. Here is, to my understanding, what happens: the manufacturer hires players of acoustic (or electric!) instruments to do the sampling. They collect a lot of material, then they spend some time to squeeze it to accomodate the allowed memory size (chopping and looping); they also process it to make it sound right for their needs. This might include EQ, filtering, time-shifting, layering, combining samples... supposedly, they also process a few samples with synthesis techniques, so FM is not totally out of question... :)

But back to your question, yes, it's real orchestral players that you hear when you play a ROMpler or workstation.

Something I wonder about is where exactly some of these ROMpler samples come from. I'm not talking about the acoustic instruments, but for instance: on one of my very first keyboards, a Yamaha PSR 220, there were some sounds near the end of the GM soundset like the Rain FX, Sweep Pad, Atmosphere, etc... where would they come up with sounds for these standard patches.

Another thing I always wondered was who the hell decided that these sounds belonged in a GM spec. What were they thinking?! :freak:

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

Yes, Indeed many of them are samples of well known synthesizers. On board most romplers today are Minimoogs, Modulars, even digital synths get sampled into romplers. Many of these are sampled straight from the oscillators so the character of the filter/amp etc. may be missing.

I've noticed that the manufacturers do tend to recycle samples quite a bit. I assume that "masters" are held in storage, and when a new round or samples are needed (say at a higher bit resolution) the masters are sliced and diced into multi-samples again. I am not certain of this but there is a "sameness" that pervades each manufacturers line that could be due to their compression process, but I suspect is due to the fact that the same vintage sound source is responsible.

Best,

Jerry

Another thing I always wondered was who the hell decided that these sounds belonged in a GM spec. What were they thinking?!
At the time it was neccessary for any computer gaming or multimedia. Computers weren't fast enough to play back much digital audio so all the sound effects from games came from GM soundsets. Of course many of the first sound cards have FM on them too.

Ah...remember the MT32?

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived