Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heart Attack!

Vincepro

I was syncing my MPC2000XL to my ProTools HD rig via Midi Beat Clock and suddenly the MPC started going nuts playing random notes and froze on me.... I then unplugged all the Midi cables that were going to the MPC and restarted it...I just went around the menu clicking random things to see if it froze again and it did! I rebooted several times and each time the MPC would go nuts and freeze up. My unit is only two years old and has been well cared for. I thought it was broken and would have to go to the trash...

Then, I tried unplugging it for a few mins and plugged it back in and it started working again! My question is this: There is no flash rom or anything in the MPC, after being turned off, it shouldn't remember whatever the glitch was that kept freezing it up...Why did unplugging it solve the problem? Also, how often do synths/samplers just break down for no reason with careful use? I understand that mechanical parts are the first to go, but how often does a MPC or Triton just "break" for no reason and go to the trash? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When that happens with the car radios I repair it's because the crystal(clock generator) has worked loose. There could be other things causing the problem also, transistor(IC's) do fail and temporarily fix themselves, we call those intermittents. The soldered connections can fail in the same manner. Sub all your cables and try and duplicate the problem. If you can't find anything I say send it to the shop. If this happens in the middle of a gig, well you know the consequences. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

The unit shouldn't go nuts on its own. When first turned on, most units do a soft reset and then go from there. What has changed? Are your AC sockets polorized? Did you use cheater cords, if so, don't. Try first to isolate it to the last thing you did before it happened. Our washing machine changed cycles one day, it does all the time, but this day when it changed cycles, good bye cable modem. Kcbass

P.S. Check for sticking buttons also, remember that chicken leg you was eating a week ago?

"Let It Be!"

Thanks for the reply...In any event, when things like this happen, are they fixable? I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. It all started the first time I triggered the MPC via Midi Clock with Protools HD.....After I unplugged the unit for awhile, everything seems back to normal but I'm still worried..

Originally posted by Vincepro:

Thanks for the reply...In any event, when things like this happen, are they fixable? I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. It all started the first time I triggered the MPC via Midi Clock with Protools HD.....After I unplugged the unit for awhile, everything seems back to normal but I'm still worried..

The unit does have RAM as well as ROM inside. Lets just hope something was left over in the RAM and you finally spit it out. By the way, I from Gary, In. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Archived