Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how many soft synths can you run on a G4?

dontae

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed also from your other thread that you didn't mention if you're using OS 9 or OS X. If you are still using OS 9 you should definitely make the switch to OS X and see if that helps with better softsynth stability. OS X Panther is so much better that OS 9 was for audio, IMO.

Softsynths crashing can also be caused by a hardware interface incompatibility. Maybe your Digi 002R driver is conflicting with the Arturia programs. Does this only happen with the Arturia Moog and CS 80V? If it does, then as a test, temporarily bypass the Digi 002R driver then select Core Audio in the softsynth prefs and play through the built-in audio output on your Mac instead.

With that config, you must be running Panther. Know that those demos do not work under Panther. Period. There is a patch for the retail versions, but as of the last time I checked anyway, you can not run demo versions of any Arturia software products under Panther. They will fail, and if you try to load them as plug-ins, they will likely bring down your sequencer with them.

I 'm OSX Jaguar.

I only have arturia mini-moog, and CS80. I tried again yesterday and no crashes...however the CS80 makes the CPU usage green light go 3/4 of the way over to overload?!?

Maybe Native(tried and true?) stuff absynth,atmosphere,pro53 will treat my computer better???

Originally posted by dementia13:

With that config, you must be running Panther. Know that those demos do not work under Panther. Period. There is a patch for the retail versions, but as of the last time I checked anyway, you can not run demo versions of any Arturia software products under Panther. They will fail, and if you try to load them as plug-ins, they will likely bring down your sequencer with them.

This is not correct. All Arturia products run under OS X Panther. I have been running the CS80V and Minimoog V on Panther without a problem.

Originally posted by dontae:

I 'm OSX Jaguar.

I only have arturia mini-moog, and CS80. I tried again yesterday and no crashes...however the CS80 makes the CPU usage green light go 3/4 of the way over to overload?!?

Maybe Native(tried and true?) stuff absynth,atmosphere,pro53 will treat my computer better???

The Arturia stuff can be very processor intensive. On the Minimoog the soft clipping really bumps up CPU usage and watch the unisons and how many voices are being used. I know the CS80 gobbles CPU as well. The NI stuff in general is much more efficient.

Busch.

I am running the CS-80v (legit version) on a dual gig QS running Panther.3 with 1.5 gigs of RAM. I can do 3 instances in Logic before it gets dodgey...thank goodness for the freeze tracks command.

By the way, some earlier versions of CS-80v cannot run as standalone on 10.3.3

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by dementia13:

This is not correct. All Arturia products run under OS X Panther. I have been running the CS80V and Minimoog V on Panther without a problem.

Sorry if I was unclear or caused any confusion, but I said that it's the demos that don't run in Panther: the products were created under Jaguar, and are patched to run in Panther. The patch applies to the retail version, but the demos- at least as of a couple of months ago, last time I tried- were never updated. That could have changed in the meantime, but it turns out that Dontae's problem is something different, anyway.

Archived