Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack unit recomendations ??

KeyMan035

I'm looking for a good rack unit for live music. It won't be used very often in the studio, only some rough demo CD's. It should hopefully have great presets since I'm trying to avoid alot of sound tweaking. Should cut through well in a live setting.

I've got pianos and organs covered (P120 and VK8). Looking for a wide variety of great sounding EP's, strings, pads, and some orchestral stuff thrown in. Drums won't be used. Don't need sampling capability or arpeggiator.

Price range is around a grand. Both the Motif Rack and XV5050 (with SRX Ultimate Keys) look interesting. Any thoughts on these 2 or other recomendations ??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, If you're considering the XV5050 you might want to think about the Fantom XR rack which is coming out in the next month or so. Tons of sounds with expandability of up to 1 GB and also higher polyphony (128 notes). It's a little bit higher than a grand (about $1350) but it also comes with a sampler.

Info at

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=37&prodid=Fantom%2DXR

Good luck!

Ben

For EP's I don't think you can beat the Yammie. The rest, strings, pads, orchestral stuff, is a toss up AFAIC. It will depend on your taste and what you like to hear in those programs.

HTH

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I've been trying out a Fanton X6 in my home studio for the last week, comparing it against the Motif ES. I'd say that in terms of brass and strings, the XR is going to kick the Motif's but pretty badly even before adding the add-on cards. The new Rhodes in the XR is a big improvement, but I think I still prefer the Yamahas. While you think you don't need sampling, it's really nice to have the capability of bring in that killer sound from a sampling CD you just can't pull from the ROM.

Busch.

Price range is around a grand.
I got a Proteus 2000 with the "Sounds of the ZR", and a Vintage Pro with "B3" and "Composer" boards.$980.00 at eBay. That's 256voices, 192Meg of sounds, 4 midi inputs. Well spent money,IMO.

Of course E-MU is dumping most of their hardware, so support may be minimal eventually. We're concerned they might not be around in a few years.
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Of course E-MU is dumping most of their hardware, so support may be minimal eventually. We're concerned they might not be around in a few years.

Well, until then, I'll have thousands of sounds to play with. ;)

Thanks for the input. I got my hands on a Motif yesterday and loved the EP's - some great sounds. And the strings, pads, etc. were very playable and expressive.

Gotta try the XV5050. I hear it lacks some of the punch of the Motif, but I'll give it a spin.

Archived