Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Building a Performance Rig ... Keyboard Selection??? HELP

Brent129

My dilemma...

I'm looking to upgrade my "Performance Rig". My goal is to build the best sounding and user friendly rig possible.

What I currently use:

- My only sound source is a Roland XV3080 Rack. I use an 88 key weighted Kawai controller (old) and an old Korg DW8000 as an external controller ONLY into the Kawai (not using sounds). These two boards are for mapping to the XV3080 only.

What I am looking for:

- Best sounding rig possible... total upgrade from old system (dusted off after coming out of 8 year layoff from gigging).

Decision problems:

- I DONT need a workstation!! I am considering a Kurzweil PC2x as a controller amd main board replacement and a Triton 76 LE as an additional sound source and second tier board. Of course I will keep the Roland XV3080.

My alternate and (probably) preferable choice would be the Motif ES88 as my main board and the triton as the second tier board. But I hate to cough up the additional funds for the Motif if I don't intent to use sampling or sequencing.

Any advice, comments based on experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks;

Brent

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to suggest getting either a Roland Fantom X or Yamaha Motif ES. In fact since you like the XV-3080, which I do too, I own one, I'd still suggest you sell it and get the Fantom X. It has a bunch of new samples in rom including that killer 4 layer grand piano. However it's probably not going to make the 3080 worthless, so I'd say the Motif ES would give you the best of both worlds, especially since you can add those incredible Yamaha synth boards to it. As great as all the synths are these days, I must have a Roland or two in my arsenal.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

The Yamaha S-90 is essentially a Motif8 "classic" without the sampling function - but with more sample ROM and a nice triple strike piano. Key feel is subjective - but has been getting great reviews from posters here and over at Harmony_central.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Originally posted by nolights:

The Yamaha S-90 is essentially a Motif8 "classic" without the sampling function - but with more sample ROM and a nice triple strike piano. Key feel is subjective - but has been getting great reviews from posters here and over at Harmony_central.

If I may be so bold.....my Yamaha S90 is about to go up for auction today on ebay. You can do a search for S90 or me as seller. For key feel, it is excellent (it just doesn't do poly AT like my "new" Kurzweil MidiBoard).

Get the Kurzweil PC2X and put in the Classic Keys expansion ROM. This will cover just about all the bases in live sounds along with having great midi controller features. Another would be the Yamaha S-90. Each keyboard has it's own 'feel' which allows you the fun (or frustration) in deciding which one fits you best. Welcome back to gigging! :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Brent129,

I use a PC2x on the bottom and a Roland VK-8 on the top. I also use a Roland JV-1010 as I haven't added any ROM packages to the PC2x. They weren't around when I needed them, and for live performance, the JV gives me more than I need.

I prefer the Keybed on the PC2x over the Yamaha, although I don't know who makes it. I use the VK-8 because I play a lot of organ and the PC2x B3 emulation is not all that great, especially in it's drawbar implementation. Nor is the PC2x Leslie simulation very good. Plus the VK-8 has waterfall keys, which is a major factor.

Most of my efforts are in performance, I do some recording, but not very often. I never use any sequencing during performance, I just play along with the rest of the band. So if you need to do some sequencing, you may want to look at other boards.

This is what I use. I'm getting a Leslie 21 this week (I hope) so that should take care of any Leslie sim problems in the future. I use 2 Roland KC-500 (one is a 550) amps and run everything in stereo. That will change once the Leslie arrives as far as the organ is concerned, but that's OK as the effect will make up for it.

Good luck.

Rick

My live rig is a Yamaha S90 with the PLG-AN plug-in and Nord Electro. This is a great combo that covers all the bases, outside of die-hard Virtual Analog. I was carrying a third keyboard for virtual analog, but find that I can get what I need from the S90 for synth sounds, especially with the analog card.

This rig gives me great 88 note feel with killer pianos and synths in the S90, great waterfall action with Hammond, Rhodes, Clav and Wurly in the Electro. The Electro is really a prize that I have grown to love.

Regards,

Eric

The Fantom series is very stage friendly because of the ability to save favorite patches to a set of dedicated buttons. Yamaha Motif ES also has favorites but recall is not as fast as on a Fantom.
Politicians and diapers should both be changed regulary, and for the same reason.

So far... I am tending towards the following as the ultimate performance keyboard rig:

-Main board... Yamaha S90 (softspot for Kurz PC2X)

-

Upper Tier... Korg Triton 76LE (mainly for strings $ brass)

-Rack mount XV3080 (already own)

Help me improve on this..... I appreciate your opinions. By the way... the missing feature in this rig is a good B3 emulation. I sold a B2 with perc./Leslie 122 to buy this perspective rig (see JNTUTI auction history on Ebay).

Originally posted by Brent129:

So far... I am tending towards the following as the ultimate performance keyboard rig:

-Main board... Yamaha S90 (softspot for Kurz PC2X)

-

Upper Tier... Korg Triton 76LE (mainly for strings $ brass)

-Rack mount XV3080 (already own)

Help me improve on this..... I appreciate your opinions. By the way... the missing feature in this rig is a good B3 emulation. I sold a B2 with perc./Leslie 122 to buy this perspective rig (see JNTUTI auction history on Ebay).

You sold your B-2 and Leslie 122 for a gig rig? I hope you had two!!! :P

As for main board, both the S-90 and the PC2X are great, really a matter of taste. I have no experience of the Triton LE, but I´ve read numerous complaints about the keybed, maybe you´d want to consider a Triton Classic 76, or maybe go for a second hand Studio. For Hammond sounds, there are several strong cards; The Korg CX-3, the Nord Electro, the Roland VK-8 and the Voce V5 module, to mention the ones I´d take a look at. If you want to stay with two boards, I´d take a look at the Voce V5 and a Motion-Sound Pro-3T or a Nord Electro rack.

/J :cool: nas

Here's my live rig:

On the lower level: a master controller (I use an old peavey) running a : PC2R with classic keys, Motif rack, Noah. On the top level, a juno 106 acting as a controller for the voce v5, which runs into a speakeasy pre-amp.

Both end up at the motion-sound kbr-3d, the organs going into the leslie side, and the rest into the stereo expander side.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Well;

Thanks to some great suggestions, I just purchased a Yamaha S90 and Triton LE61 from Guitar Center. The XV3080 I have will round out my stage gear well.

Now for the next step. I want to run in stereo for stage monitoring. I used to used a huge 3-way cabinet, Crown amp and Studiomaster board. I'm older now and "light" and "efficient" are gaining favor with me. Anyone have any thoughts here?

I actually played through a couple Kustom keyboard speakers in an Akron Oh music store and was impressed. But it was a quick listen and the speakers were not facing me.

Hi Brent,

I too am about to get a Triton LE 61, and as mentioned by someone earlier there are some complaints of the feel of the keybed. How are you finding it?

Now for the next step. I want to run in stereo for stage monitoring.
You need to get a pair of Motion Sound KT80s or a single Motion Sound KP200s. You will not be disappointed.

Regards,

Eric

I use a Triton rack, a Roland D-550 and midi it to a Kurzweil PC2 (76 key). I run it through a Motion Sound KBR 3D, stereo is mandatory for a quality sound

The B3 sounds in the Triton fill the bill quite nicely, Especially when you control the leslie speed with a controller of your choice on the PC. I own a VK7 and leave it at home.I am looking into a Speakeasy pre amp because the VK right now seems to weak

Archived