Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reason crashes on my Ibook! Help!!

Calumet

I am running Reason on a brand new G4 Ibook. 933. 640 MB. OS 10.3

It seems to work fine for a while...then it starts to crash when I move dials and such. Sometimes the program crashes. Sometimes the whole computer needs to reboot!

What gives? I was under the impression this should run with no problems on a new Ibook. I am using a M-Audio Ozone but it was doing it with other USB interfaces as well.

Thanks.

Mitch

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I guess I get a kernal panic.

I am new to Mac so I don't know anything about the Disk Utility or the preferences. Any light you can shed would be REALLY helpful!

Thanks!

Mitch

Hey Calumet,

I saw your post over on the Props board and one thing I can suggest if you have not already done it is register and download the 2.5 update. Or if you are on R1 get the 1.0.1 update. They really fix some issue that crept up and added to instability on some machines. Otherwise contact tech support if your problems persist.

- DJDM

Originally posted by Calumet:

Yes. I guess I get a kernal panic.

I am new to Mac so I don't know anything about the Disk Utility or the preferences. Any light you can shed would be REALLY helpful!

Thanks!

Mitch

For correcting permissions, run DISK UTILITY which is found in APPLICATIONS/UTILITIES. Click on your main system disk and run REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS. Prior to 10.3, I had to run this utility frequently as it seemed they were always getting screwed up. Since 10.3 it's much less of an issue. Permissions are most frequently messed up by installation programs (ironically, Apple installers seem to be the worst offenders). You might want to drag DISK UTILITY onto your dock so it's easy to get to.

Preferences can be found in a couple areas under OSX. Some programs store them in LIBRARY/PREFERENCES but most of the time they can be found in USERS/username/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES. Look for any and all related to your program. Drag them into the trash and the application will create new ones the next time it starts. Trashing preferences takes your program back to its default settings, which is necessary if you happened to get the program into a state where it's no longer working properly or if the preference file got corrupted. It's faster than reinstalling the program and often gives you the same results. Make note of your program preferences settings prior to trashing.

Busch.

Originally posted by DJDM:

Hey Calumet,

I can suggest if you have not already done it is register and download the 2.5 update. Or if you are on R1 get the 1.0.1 update. They really fix some issue that crept up and added to instability on some machines. Otherwise contact tech support if your problems persist.

- DJDM

Only Version 2.5 is available for OSX.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Mitch[/qb]

For correcting permissions, run DISK UTILITY which is found in APPLICATIONS/UTILITIES. Click on your main system disk and run REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS. Prior to 10.3, I had to run this utility frequently as it seemed they were always getting screwed up. Since 10.3 it's much less of an issue. Permissions are most frequently messed up by installation programs (ironically, Apple installers seem to be the worst offenders). You might want to drag DISK UTILITY onto your dock so it's easy to get to.

Preferences can be found in a couple areas under OSX. Some programs store them in LIBRARY/PREFERENCES but most of the time they can be found in USERS/username/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES. Look for any and all related to your program. Drag them into the trash and the application will create new ones the next time it starts. Trashing preferences takes your program back to its default settings, which is necessary if you happened to get the program into a state where it's no longer working properly or if the preference file got corrupted. It's faster than reinstalling the program and often gives you the same results. Make note of your program preferences settings prior to trashing.

Busch.[/QB]

Ok.

I trashed the whole program (preferences included) and reinstalled. However...it didn't ask me to re-enter the pass code which makes me think the whole thing didn't uninstall. I played with the program for a bit and it didn't crash...but that's no indication of anything.

I'm sorry for the elementary questions but I am new to how Apple works. I thought I was leaving the dark side of the PC world but I am a little irritated by this. This SHOULD work just fine on a new Ibook, right?? :confused:

From everything I have read, Reason isn't that processor intensive and I have maxed the RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I also have ProTools on this Ibook but I never use it. Surely that's not an issue.

Thanks for your continued help.

Mitch

Originally posted by c4:

are you using a cracked version? If so that has alot to do with the stability issues..

Obviously not, Calumet mentions that it didn't ask for a password. If it was cracked, he would leave that bit of information out. It may be fine. Reason has never given me problems in OS 9 or 10, maybe this was just a hiccup.

Steve

Nope. Not cracked.

There HAS to be an explanation for this. I have been all over the Propellerhead website and there are people using older G3 Ibooks with no problems.

Tell me this - should I consider reloading the OS?

Originally posted by Calumet:

Nope. Not cracked.

There HAS to be an explanation for this. I have been all over the Propellerhead website and there are people using older G3 Ibooks with no problems.

Tell me this - should I consider reloading the OS?

No, I wouldn't worry until it quits again. If you repaired permissions like bleen suggested, you've probably fixed the problem. It may never quit again. Relax. . .

Steve

The copy protection (password) is usually at a very low level and will often survive a complete trash/reload of the program, so I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect of it.

You also might try running it off the internal audio for a while and disconnect the USB Audio stuff to see if you can eliminate USB as the problem.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

You also might try running it off the internal audio for a while and disconnect the USB Audio stuff to see if you can eliminate USB as the problem.

Busch.

That's a good suggestion and I will try that. However, for live performance, I will need to use USB audio. I don't think I have another option.

Thank you all for your replies. If you have any other ideas, keep 'em comin'!

Mitch

Originally posted by b_3guy:

If you repaired permissions like bleen suggested, you've probably fixed the problem. It may never quit again. Relax. . .[/QB]

Sorry, like Busch suggested. My apologies!!

Steve

Update:

1. I repaired permissions. No help. I also reinstalled the program. No help.

I have very little on my harddrive. The computer is just about brand new.

A little more info...I was just using Reason WITHOUT the Ozone and it still crashed on me. It crashed while I was messing with the sequencer. The song wasn't even running.

Obviously, I think, we have some sort of conflict going on here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mitch

I don't want to put a scare into you but I wonder if it's the G4 iBook. I remember talking to the guy that owns the local Apple store & he said that there are two products Apple should recall & stop making, one was definitely the EMac & the other was one of the iBooks. I not sure but maybe yours. Did you try trashing Reason's Preferences? It's located Macintish HD>Users>Users name (mIne's steve)>Library>Preferences>Reason Preferences. Restart Reason. I'll keep sniffing around, but Propellerheads might be the place to start.

Steve

Archived