Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard controller for vsti's?

mte

Hello,

Now I have a yamaha p-120 as the main keyboard and a korg m1 as the second keybord which is just a controller for vst instruments (NI B4 and other stuff). Now I'd like to replace the korg with something lighter and something more controllable. I was looking at Evolution mk-461c but hell it has only one pedal jack (I really need another one for the expression pedal). If it had another jack I'd buy it right now. So I wonder if there's something similar. I need:

- 61 keys, preferable something similar to waterfall.

- 9 sliders for drawbars

- sustain pedal jack AND (!!) a jack for expression pedal

- other things are not so important, but those really are.

Does something like that even exist? Or something that's close to it? Hammond clones wouldn't be good because of the price that's mostly due to sounds and I don't need them.

Thanks,

Matej

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it seems to be the best option. I have uc-16 controller but i'd need something like uc-33. Although some MK-461c with that damned expression option would be the best - 9 sliders for drawbars, very light keyboard and no additional cables.

I agree with DKeenum. Keep the M1 and go with something like the Evolution UC33. You will have all of the expression inputs you are used to (and already know how to assign in a flash), PLUS you get the realtime controls for the VSTi's.

Jay

There's also something to be said for having a controller with sounds (like the M1, or simliar synth with strong MIDI controll/assignment). If your vsti's go down (for whatever reason), its a snap to use the M1's sounds.

Damn I'm in a big dilemma now. I found another controller which would suit my needs (Edirol PC-80). What about it? Has anyone had experiences with it?

But on the other hand with such a controller I lose backup which I would still have if I keep the M1. I'm yet to decide, but first I'd like to hear someone's opinion on the Edirol.

Thanks,

Matej

• 1 month later...
I bought the Edirol 80. I saw it demostrated and it was great. However, as always with Roland, the manual does not help at all. I am not new to midi, but since having the unit I have not been able to change any of the sliders or knobs. Some I have yet to find how they are set. I will have to call a roland rep which when you get one are very helpful. I should have looked more in to the M-audio and Prologic also has a great board but for about 1000.

Originally posted by HalM2:

I bought the Edirol 80. I saw it demostrated and it was great. However, as always with Roland, the manual does not help at all. I am not new to midi, but since having the unit I have not been able to change any of the sliders or knobs. Some I have yet to find how they are set. I will have to call a roland rep which when you get one are very helpful. I should have looked more in to the M-audio and Prologic also has a great board but for about 1000.

I would agree that in typical Roland fashion the manual is a bit to be desired. Have you tried the PCR Editor. Very easy to use even with a basic knowledge of MIDI.
"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

Thanks to both of you. The editor worked very well.

Sometimes I have to be told things twice anyway.

I do have another question. I hope it isn't a fatal flaw for what I want to do. I set the sliders to be volume controls on 8 separate midi channels. That way I can grab a horn, string, piano voice at will on the fly in performance just by using the appropriate slider. Now I find that I can only set the keys to send one midi channel at a time. I couldn't get Omni mode to change that.

Can the keys be set to send all or at least more than one midi channel at a time? THANKS AGAIN!

I have a n Edirol PCR-50. It's the same as a PCR-80 with fewer keys. You said you wanted 9 faders for drawbars, it only has 8. I use one of the rotary knobs for the lowest drawbar. It would be nice if it had nine. If you set the maximum value at 0 and the minimum value at 128 then you can pull the fader down to increase the volume like on a drawbar.

It's very easy to program and does lots of cool midi stuff.

You could go for an M-Audio Pro 88 but they are not out yet. If you need to go with a table-top device, I advise going for a UC-33e and not the UC-33. The UC-33 is older and doesn't support SysEx dumps or easy programming through the Enigma editor.

The PCR-80 is ok but nothing special in my opinion.

My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

I use a PCR-50 to control B4 and FM7. Edirol provides a a free program with a graphical interface that allows you to program the controls and save 16 different soft synth or DAW setups under memory. Even the two pedal ports are programmable. As long as you have a legal copy of the soft synth with the list of midi control numbers, it's very easy to use. There are also a number of pre-programmed settings for popular soft synths and DAWs available on line.

I use two different settings for the B4, one for when I'm using the PCR as the lower manual and one for when I fire up my B3 and just use the PCR to control B4's Leslie funtions. When I'm using B4 to act as the B3's "Leslie," I make all the Leslie functions more accessible.

Archived