Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who else likes Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" album?

eric

So I'm blasting "Thrust" right now and totally loving it! It has the definitive 70's vibe with the wah clav and dirty Rhodes sounds. Lots of inventive synth sounds, flutes and those riffs in which Herbie plays thirds stacked in quick succession! Amazing stuff!

Which reminds me, the Nord Electro can almost perfectly capture this album's vibe. It's almost as if the Electro sounds (clav and Rhodes) were modelled from the Thrust album!

Anyone else dig this album? If you have not heard it, I totally recommend it!

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really thought the acoustic pianos were lacking
Yep, they are indeed - precisely why I use the S90 for piano. Though I recently became a convert to the original Electro mono Steinway sample - it actually sounds pretty decent with some overdrive and EQ - good for quick rehearsals and small gigs if I don't bring the full rig. Even Petros might like it! The Electro stereo pianos are surely "weird and phasey" when played in mono - as is the case with any stereo piano sound played in mono.

Regards,

Eric

I love Herbie. Nobody better on Rhodes. A few years ago a buddy of mine was playing a Paradise Gardens, one of the best strip clubs in Vegas located right across the street from the Hard Rock. For while they had live jazz for the girls to dance to. Anyway, Herbie was in town and showed up there and sat in and played two nights in a row. Beautiful naked women and Herbie. Talk about a hard on........

Time for a great Herbie anecdote. Saw it happen from a distance...

It was after the North Sea jazz fest in the Bel Air hotel where a total drunk stepped up to Herbie, saying: "I think your trio really sucked at the concert, blablabla." Herbie was sitting with two beautiful blondines around him and answered: "Maybe my trio at the concert sucked, but THIS trio is gonna ROCK!"

And yeah, Thrust is cool. So is Man Child, Secrets, Mr Hands...

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

My favorite cut is Butterfly on Thrust. If you like this type of music then check out 'Manchild' and 'Head Hunters'. I learned a lot of licks off thoes albums (or should I say CD's?!) :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by Eric:

Which reminds me, the Nord Electro can almost perfectly capture this album's vibe. It's almost as if the Electro sounds (clav and Rhodes) were modelled from the Thrust album!

I agree completely, the first thing I played on the v2.0 Clavinet was some Actual Proof stuff, and my basic Rhodes patch sounds just like Butterfly! Cool that you noticed this too.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Time for a great Herbie anecdote. Saw it happen from a distance...

It was after the North Sea jazz fest in the Bel Air hotel where a total drunk stepped up to Herbie, saying: "I think your trio really sucked at the concert, blablabla." Herbie was sitting with two beautiful blondines around him and answered: "Maybe my trio at the concert sucked, but THIS trio is gonna ROCK!"

And yeah, Thrust is cool. So is Man Child, Secrets, Mr Hands...

LOL!

Herbie is the man. I´ve heard many great stories about him, but this was one of the funniest!

/J :cool: nas

Definitely one of my favourite albums. Up there in my top 5. The opening of "Palm Grease" kills me every time. The band locks together so tightly, and "Actual Proof" has to be evidence of telepathy of some sort.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

yeah I like this record...I like Manchild better but anything with Herbie soloing is great to listen to.

I prefer Herbie on acoustic piano to Rhodes but he's great whatever he's playing...one of my favorites.

Also if you dig this stuff you should try to pick up some old Patrice Rushen, she smoked on Rhodes too.

Thrust is one of my favorite Herbie albums. I'm in a fusion band and Butterfly is one of our core tunes. I haven't heard Manchild, but will check it out.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Herbie's one of my big heroes. I preferred "Crossings" to his Headhunters period, but I have Manchild and Thrust on LP and, of course, Headhunters, LP and CD. Brilliant stuff - I particularly like "Butterfly" as well. Have a book of charts from those albums floating around somewhere - mostly lead sheet, but a few scores too, IIRC.

Harvey Mason and Paul Jackson really gave up the funk, didn't they? :thu:

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Harvey Mason and Paul Jackson really gave up the funk, didn't they? :thu:

Daf

They were one of the best rhythm sections of the period.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Have a book of charts from those albums floating around somewhere - mostly lead sheet, but a few scores too, IIRC.
If you can find these, let me know the publisher, etc. I would like to track these down and get them. If you want to touch base with me offline, that would be great - send me a PM.

Thanks,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

Have a book of charts from those albums floating around somewhere - mostly lead sheet, but a few scores too, IIRC.
If you can find these, let me know the publisher, etc. I would like to track these down and get them.

Thanks,

Eric

So would I. (I always wondered if I played Butterfly correctly) Awhile back I purchased 'Famous Keyboard Intros' published by Hal-Leonard. What a great book! I finally learned the intros to Superstition and Joy to the World exactly as it was recorded. It even has the entire intro to Bloody Well Right by Supertramp. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Meh, i really needa get thrust! Herbie's probably my fave all-round keys player; everyone who hasn't should check out manchild, that is seriously funky! And yet, thrashed though it has been, i reckon Headhunters is still my favourite album... it keeps the groove, but with a more 'jazz' sense. Good times music!

:cool:

(BTW i just got herbie's "the new standard" album... you guys checked it out? some pretty wicked ideas; he does covers of Prince, Beatles, Nirvana, Stevie W etc...)

I'll rock, you roll.

Originally posted by eric:

If you can find these, let me know the publisher, etc. I would like to track these down and get them. If you want to touch base with me offline, that would be great - send me a PM.

Thanks,

Eric

Here goes:

Herbie Hancock's Greatest Hits

Hansen House #56

No publish date, but I believe it was 1975 - material up through Manchild. 1975 is the latest copyright, including some 1975 arrangement copyrights for earlier pieces.

At least one interesting omission - "Tell Me a Bedtime Story." Maybe they figured everyone already had the Real Book... ;)

About half ensemble sketches, and half piano scores. No true full scores, but some of the sketches are pretty detailed. Some transcriptions by Mel Martin, others by Eddy L. Manson.

Good luck chasing it down. Mine AIN'T for sale. :D

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I'm a HUGE fan of Herbie. For clav, Rhodes and acoustic piano, there ain't none better. I've always gotten a lot out of his playing over one or two chord vamps. His melodic, harmonic and rhythmic vocabulary is so immense, but when you hear it over these simple repetitive structures it is more easily understood and then something that can be absorbed and applied to other situations.

In addition to the book DafDuc mentioned I also have one from Alamo Publications called "The Greatest Jazz Hits of Herbie Hancock." Eventhough it has many of the same songs, it's a nice compliment to the other book as it seems to detail songs the other one doesn't and vice versa. This one is also from the 1970s is is probably out of print.

Busch.

WHATTA CLASSIC story about the TRIO!!!

Hey I was reading a story about Rod Temperton who is one of my favourite songwriters. In it they referred to a Herbie Hancock cd in the 70s/80s in which Rod Temperton wrote a few tunes...is that Manhuner?

If not, would anyone know what that cd is called?

Archived