Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chart Notation

MurMan

I play a lot of songs from charts that are usually prepared by guitar players. The chart notation is pretty basic: chords (sometimes with a bass note) above the lyrics.

I often mark them up to show patches, rifs, etc. Does anyone know if there is good way to notate chord voicing/inversions?

Any other useful notation ideas for keyboard players?

thanks,

Murray

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray, I've found in many instances it is simply more efficient to write the parts out (on a staff) exactly how you would want to have them voiced.

There's really only so much information that can be written down using chord symbols. While chord symbols (and slashes followed by the bass note) convey a lot of information, a symbol can not convey everything. When in doubt, write it out. (That was from the OJ Simpson defense team :) )

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

You can make the chart more difficult to read by using customized notation. I've done that and then gone back months later and couldn't remember what I meant! I agree it's better just to write out the chord or phrase or whatever.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

When in doubt, write it out. (That was from the OJ Simpson defense team :) )

How could I argue with the Dream Team? (Talk about embarassing. No wonder Dave left the country ...)

OK, both of you are telling me what I suspected. Just was hoping that there was more to charting than I knew.

So here's my problem: I've got over three hundred charts. Only 50 or so need help, but putting even 50 songs into Allegro is daunting. (I need both notes and the lyrics.)

I'm not great at drawing a staff free-hand. Because I only need to notate selected parts of the chart, does it make sense to use notation paper and cut/paste it onto the chart? (Somewhere I remember seeing self-adhesive paper tape with a staff.)

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Cutting and pasting is certainly one way to go about this. Using a music notation program from beginning to end is another solution. While you have 50 charts to do and the length of time needed to accomplish that seems daunting (using notation software), each chart will go faster than the previous because you be more fluent with the program.

You're the one who knows what's best for you. Sorry not to be of more help.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. No doubt that doing lots of notations would make me faster. But, my life is pretty busy at the moment - getting married, moving; Need I say more? Also, there are times where it just isn't practical to lug my laptop and portable printer along.

A typical scenario for me is to arrive at rehearsal and get six songs that were choosen earlier that day. Arrangements on songs that I know change often. Usually 1-2 that I've never heard, and often an original piece. Performance is 1 hour to 3 days later. I was looking for a better way to augment the charts on-the-fly. (I'm no Mozart and need to write it down ...)

d, I googled for the Alberti method. Closest thing I found was Alberti bass from the Baroque era, but I'm not sure how this relates to notation. Can you explain or give me a link? thanks.

Archived