Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI question from Notso Newbie

Markyboard

I'm new to soft synths but not to MIDI so this may turn out to be really stupid. Is there a way to control a soft synth and an external module simultaneoulsy through a single USB interface (Unitor 8 Mark II)? Once I start the soft synth (FM-7 or B4), the Unitors midi ports appear to only work with the PC( over USB) and my controller can no longer play any external modules. What is the midi thru setting for in the soft synth? I'm on a PC -do the Macs also operate this way? Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I understand that you don't want to open the softsynths from within a sequencer program as vst or dxi plug-ins?

If I insert a dxi instrument in Sonar, I can choose the midi input (hardware midi port) as well as midi output (softsynth). On another midi track I choose the hardware port input, and the hardware port output. Both the external synth and softsynth trigger simultaneously.

Does this help?

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Originally posted by ksoper:

Do I understand that you don't want to open the softsynths from within a sequencer program as vst or dxi plug-ins?

k.

Yeah - I was talking about running Fm-7/B4 as a stand alone application - not as a VST although this should allow me to do what I was asking (thanks). These days I'm programming a lot of sounds and just playing without recording so I dont typically run my sequencer.

I think I got it although some wierd inconsistant things were going on for a while. I did not have my input/output ports specified correctly and the thru setting checked in the soft synth. When I did have them inserted in the list I may have forgotten to hit OK to make it take effect. Any way it does allow me to play both internal pc synth and external modules now.

Thanks everyone.

Do you have the Unitor 8 control ? If so, try setting up a patch within it.
I use Sounddiver which has Unitor 8 control embedded in it as one of the modules. However having to open this is equivalent to running Logic. It works but I didn't want to have to do this all the time. But thanks for the suggestions none the less. :thu:

Archived