Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

vintage sound imitations

primoz

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I need is good organ ( I'd realy like to have a keyboard with drawbars, overdrive,... ), good Rhodes, Wurly and clavinet ( for these I'd like to have some effects like distortion/overdrive, wah-wah and some others). I dont need the best piano sound on the world, but a decent one ( I have a real piano at home )

I 4th that!!! You basically summed the Electro to a T! Go and grab one. Maybe order from a place with a 30 return policy in case you find its not for you. I always find that I need to be sure I want a piece, but sometimes the only way to know is to own it for a bit, and get into it.

Best of luck,

Tom

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

I'd look at Kawai MP9000. Heavy but kind. No drawbars though. Fantastic effects though. The slow speed rotary effect is by far the best I've heard.

Haven't tried the Electro or the GEM but I intend to. Heard a guy play an Electro live- everything sounded horrible though so I have no idea what it sounds like.

I'm intrigued by the Electro rack.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

IMO the VK8 simply kills the organ sounds of the Electro, but the VK8's other samples are sooo poor that I think the Electro is the best over all vintage choice. To improve the organ sounds, you can always think about hooking it up to a laptop with NI B4 or Emagic's EVB3 :idea:

If the budget allows you to. This will be a nice travel setup.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Originally posted by Per Larsson:

I was in charge for the recordings of most of the pianos that are in those updates and they have recieved very good reviews.

Now, the memory on the Nord Electra puts some restriction on how much you can squeeze in, so you shouldn't really compare the Electra with a diskstreaming sampler when it comes to sample pianos, but Hans and the guys at Clavia did a great job programming those pianos!

I also know, (because I made those too.... ;) that there soon will be more piano updates for the Electra!

There have been posts regarding the lack of reverb in the effect library on the Electro - if you do buy this keyboard, Primoz, be aware that a bit of reverb will help the piano sounds especially - either in your amp/mixer or in a module of some sort.

Also regarding the piano sound - I have found for my application that the Yamaha CP-80 electric grand piano works best. It has a wonderful percussive attack and fits nicely in a live band context. I think one of the worst things about the original CP-80 was that I'd never heard or played one that actually was in tune and the Electro's version of it sounds terrific on that basis alone.

I am a regular visitor to Clavia's web site and the post by Per Larsson gives hope that there will be some new pianos available for download soon - hopefully with some reverb in the sample. If not, perhaps included in the next OS.

Here for the gear.

Archived