Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

vintage sound imitations

primoz

I'm searching a keyboard and I need sounds like Rhodes, clavinet, combo organ imitation (60', rock organ, hammond, ...), vintage lead and some others sounds(piano, strings, ...). What do you recomend ?I've been playing roland vr-760 few times and it sounds fine but i don't know what similar product are out there.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should seriously consider the Clavia Nord Electro, which has first class Hammond, Rhodes, Clavinet, Wurlitzer sounds. Truly nails the vintage vibe in spades. Listen to MP3s here:

Clavia Website

It does not have synth sounds. You could get a small rack module or something like a MicroKorg for synth sounds.

Regards,

Eric

The VK8 and VK8m have essentially the same sound engine as the organ in the V-Combo/VR760. The problem I have with the VK8m is the wall wart power supply and the SIZE of the module - it is GIGANTIC!!!!

I suggest that you check out the Nord Electro. It can provide the organ, clav and EP sounds you crave in a small, light package. I speak from experience, having owned a V-Combo/VR760 for a couple of months and reverted back to the Electro. It is my favorite keyboard now.

If you need a good place to buy one, please check with Tony L. at BT Productions

He will take care of you! Tell him that Eric sent you.

Feel free to keep asking questions. I will keep answering them!

Regards,

Eric

If I were you I'd wait for the Hammond xk3 and see if you like it better. For vintage sounds I have had good luck with an e-mu vk-6 vintage keys keyboard. I play a voce v5, but the hammond samples in the vk-6 are the best b3 samples I have ever heard. You could get away with just using those actually IMHO.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Another vote for the Nord Electro...I had not seen one (except on concert footage) much less played one. None of the music stores in my area had one in stock. I ordered one mainly due to the great press I had read about them....

I love this unit!!! I had been using an XK-2...the Nord is very light and sounds awesome! The Hammond Clone side of it is first rate...and I couldn't believe the EP's....wow...I used to own both a Rhodes and Wurly...can't say enough good things about it!! Of course all of this is subjective...but for what it's worth!! :thu:

I bought an E-MU Vintage Pro (newer version of Vintage Keys) for classic sounds. It's OK, but takes some tweaking to get anything really gutsy. Several patches are really quiet and require volume editing--mainly piano and organ stuff. E-MU dropped the ball with those. I do like it for the Mellotron and Fairlight type stuff, though, which is the main reason I bought it.

It does Moog, Arp & Oberheim classic lead stuff well if you spend time with the parameters. Right out of the box I felt that many sounds are a bit weak. (It's dropped in price--$399 online now.)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Vote for Nord Electro. I use it along with a Nord Lead 2, and it's like paradise. Not only it's light and nice (hot red), but it can cover all of your vintage gear needs: superb hammond sounds (with midi drawbars, chorus/vibrato, percussion and all), clav, wurlie, rhodes, a (mediocre but passable) piano, real time effects. Very easy to use, very easy to transport, very easy to set up, very easy almost everything... And very sexy.

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by primus:

Thanks :thu: ! Great :thu: ! I will try to see/get it (clavia nord) somewhere. Has anybody any experiences with vr-760 ?

Yes, Eric (above poster) has owned both the VR-760 and the Nord. He had a Nord, sold it lured into the notion of all-in-one keyboarding that the VR seemed to provide, then dumped the VR and bought another Nord. He was smitten so by that phat Nord sound that he had to go back to the Electro. Am I right Eric? :)

Anyway, do a search in this forum for Eric's own post documenting his journey.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

For that stuff I have a Yamaha p-120 for piano (excellent), rhodes (might be one of the best emulations) and clavinet (haven't heard others, but I like it - especially running it through a wah pedal). For Hammond stuff, I have an old keybord just for controller (kprg m1), midi-ed to computer with B4. It's great for me, but maybe too complicated for you as you want just one keyboard, right?

primus where are you from? I've just got a price list of Biasin (near Pordenone Italy) and they have the Nord Electro 73 (73 keys version) for 1700 and since I'm near the italian border it's the best for me to go to italy (it's also cheaper than in Slovenia).

Even if you get a Nord Electro I suggest trying to match it up with the Emu Vintage Pro. The Emu will give you all the synth and tron sounds that is missing in the electro.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Even if you get a Nord Electro I suggest trying to match it up with the Emu Vintage Pro. The Emu will give you all the synth and tron sounds that is missing in the electro.

Robert

You probably won't like the out-of-the-box piano on the Nord, and the Emu likely won't be much help there. But there's supposedly a better piano patch for the Nord available for download.

I've been mostly happy with the QS-series' sounds, particularly the ones on the Vintage Keys and Vintage Synths Q-cards - but you'll have to do lots of digging to find a decent Rhodes patch.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Yes, Eric (above poster) has owned both the VR-760 and the Nord. He had a Nord, sold it lured into the notion of all-in-one keyboarding that the VR seemed to provide, then dumped the VR and bought another Nord. He was smitten so by that phat Nord sound that he had to go back to the Electro. Am I right Eric?
That is a perfect summary of my journey! I love the Nord Electro!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Robert[/qb]

You probably won't like the out-of-the-box piano on the Nord, and the Emu likely won't be much help there. But there's supposedly a better piano patch for the Nord available for download.

Daf[/QB]

In fact, there are several! Check this page!

I was in charge for the recordings of most of the pianos that are in those updates and they have recieved very good reviews.

Now, the memory on the Nord Electra puts some restriction on how much you can squeeze in, so you shouldn't really compare the Electra with a diskstreaming sampler when it comes to sample pianos, but Hans and the guys at Clavia did a great job programming those pianos!

I also know, (because I made those too.... ;) that there soon will be more piano updates for the Electra!

Quality-wise this is the king for vintage sounds: Noah.

check the various pages to see better. I never heard such a sonic power. The EX version has 4 slots, that means you could have in one rack box a B3 emulation receiving on 3 channels the two manuals and the pedals with full polyphony, a Minimax (the best minimoog emulation existing) a Pro One and a Prodyssey (Arp Odyssey MIII), or replace each one of those with a super vocoder, a filterbank with moog filters, a guitar bass modeller, a wavetable synth, with variable polyphonic capabilities, depending if you get all slots full or not.

The B3 emulation is always full polyphonic.

Two analog inputs, 8ch adat out port, BNC in, MIDI, and usb port for audio, midi and computer editor....

Check yourself:

http://www.creamware.de/en/products/noah/default.asp

It's too good to be explained

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

• 4 months later...
For that stuff I have a Yamaha p-120 for piano (excellent), rhodes (might be one of the best emulations) and clavinet (haven't heard others, but I like it - especially running it through a wah pedal). For Hammond stuff, I have an old keybord just for controller (kprg m1), midi-ed to computer with B4. It's great for me, but maybe too complicated for you as you want just one keyboard, right?

primus where are you from? I've just got a price list of Biasin (near Pordenone Italy) and they have the Nord Electro 73 (73 keys version) for 1700€ and since I'm near the italian border it's the best for me to go to italy (it's also cheaper than in Slovenia).

I'm sorry, I haven't seen your reply before. That's just perfect solution for me. I'd just like to know the time Biasin is opened at , I visited their website but I don't know any italian word( do they speak english ?!?). Thank you a lot.

Masterkeyboard (Pro88?) or stage piano (I use P80) + laptop with NI B4, Scarbee Rhodes and Scarbee Wurlitzer and upcoming Scarbee Clavinet. Scarbee samples beat everything out there without question.

I played on Nord Electro once: good, but it is obvious it's not the real thing. With Scarbee samples you can fool experts.

I am kind of late here, but let me ask you a basic question: How much do you need acoustic piano sounds? I ask because that seems (to me at least) as the lynch pin of your decision tree. If you do not need a good acoustic piano sound, you could go for a Nord Electro (kind of unanimously acclaimed for Hammond and EP stuff) and a classic synth emulator (perhaps a rack version, either Noah - good price - or Roland XV, etc.) or maybe an Alesis Ion. However, if you do need a good acoustic piano, your choice scope widens quite a lot...

my two cents.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Gheck out the GEM Promega 3 for rhodes sounds. It's very good. It uses modeling technogoly not sampling, so the sound is very real. To my knowledge it is the only hardware keyboard that uses modeling to achieve its vintage keyboard sounds. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, the Promega 3 has great clav's and wurly as well. *88 weighted keys. And great acoustic piano sound. One of the best. The technology in this board is very cool check out generalmusic.com for info. The only thing is it doesn't have a b3 emulator like the electro. If you only want one board with all the vintage sounds go Electro. If you can afford two. I'd say ckeck out the Promega and then a good b-3 clone and a rack synth for your lead sounds. Or you could get a stage piano like Promega 3 with a synth for leads and an electro rack for organs. But we are talking big bucks for all that stuff.

Tom

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

What I need is good organ ( I'd realy like to have a keyboard with drawbars, overdrive,... ), good Rhodes, Wurly and clavinet ( for these I'd like to have some effects like distortion/overdrive, wah-wah and some others). I dont need the best piano sound on the world, but a decent one ( I have a real piano at home )

thank you all

Primož

Archived