Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you want in a keyboard synth in 2004?

Max Ventura

I have to agree with the calls for a 76-note weighted action keyboard. The last one I had was a Kurzweil K1000, which was my first Kurzweil and was a great performance instrument. I currently play a Yamaha 9000 Pro a lot, which is 76 note non-weighted. Having a similar instrument in a weighted 76 would be very nice indeed.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have enough ROM-based workstations to keep everyone happy for awhile. I would like to see further strides in capturing the feel and sound of vintage keyboards and packaging them together, very much like the Nord Electro concept.

I would love to see a Nord Electro combined with a Nord Lead 2 or 3 in the same package. It would be a lot of hardware, but it would be cool. It should have real drawbars and separate outputs for each soundset (organ, EP, synth), plus a L/R output that mixes all the sounds. This could be provided in 61, 76 and 88 (fully weighted) packages.

Regards,

Eric

I would like to see a synth that contains both samples(piano,strings and real instruments),REAL analog oscillators,analog filters and tonewheel-simulation.Plus a sampler and full polyphony even if I use all sound-sources.And i am tired of floppys and external storage.This instrument should be easy to use on stage.

I totally agree with the 76 note weighted controller. Especially with excellent piano, ep, strings, and a passable organ. This would cover a large percentage of gigs/rehearsals, and then the midi function would allow you to hook up the extra modules and stuff for the more involved gigs. If it is simply a controller, fatar style with no internal sounds, you still would have to haul external modules for the quick in and out gigs and rehearsals. When you own a small car, the 88 note boards simply don't fit if you want to take a passenger in the vehicle.

An FM-dedicated keyboard from Yamaha that is a modern update of the DX-7 (i.e. 64-note (or more) polyphony, one thousand over-writable user patch and performance slots, full on-board effects, dual (or more arpeggiators), etc. and with a large screen and relatively easy to navigate OS (UNLIKE the FS1R!) with lots of dedicated knobs for real-time control (e.g. operator waveform, level, pitch, etc.). PLEASE YAMAHA PLEASE?!!!! :D

Hey Yamaha, here's a suggestion:

A synth that combines analog technology and FM technology, with lots of realtime control. A sort of CS-80/DX7/P120 for the 21st century.

Perhaps it could have weighted keys (like the CS-80 did), and the guts of a P120 to please the piano and rhodes crowd. Also, it could use the P120 body, and therefore, be under 40 lbs?

There would be an optional B3 add-on which would provide modelled hammand b3 & leslie sounds, with an optional 9-slider attachment.

Yes, I would be willing to pay lots and lots of money for something like this if it was done right.

Thinking along similar lines, I'd take an update to the FS1R that's keyboard-oriented, with creation of FSEQ editing software that's easy to use and understand (better yet, something like the V-Synth's time-trip pad, for controlling FSEQs real-time!), and a very knobular interface with a good-sized LCD screen, yeah, that would be alright.

Wish Number 2: one of the things I miss in synthesizers is the tendency in wood and metal instruments for notes to induce sympathetic vibrations and resonances with each other. There should be some way to model this in real-time, instead of providing PCM snapshots of the phenomenon.

Along with that, I'd think that providing the ability to control, say, the first 10-15 partials from the fundamental frequency with independent envelopes for each partial, each one editable separately, with choice of number of envelopes to control real-time while playing, would be a good thing, too (some limitations on this with the Nord Modular, runs out of processing power and ideally you'd want eight independent oscillators running simultaneously, each one separately tweakable, for each note, to handle this properly).

Then I'd want to be able to work with the tendency in non-electronic (particularly string) instruments to vary in pitch upon attack, depending on how high or low on the scale you are, and depending on how hard or softly you're addressing the instrument. Providing the pitch equivalent of the key following or TVA-following that is more usually provided for filtering and amplitude should be considered.

Will think of more... :D

rt

• 2 weeks later...

88 weighted keys (yamaha style). no stupid gm voices , no crappy 2 track sequencer or metronome.

no digital menu, no touch screen.

128 voice polyphony.

3 or 4 band eq with dedicated sliders or knobs on the front panel.

most importantly a killer piano sound comparable to say the white grand. maybe a nice string and synth pad for layering.

slim case and make it under 30 llbs.

I'd like to see an effects loop that could be inserted at various points along the chain. If they wanted to make it so the sampling ins were also insert send/returns, that would suit me just fine.

"For instance" is not proof.

I think everyone covered the synth engine wants very well.

- Polyphonic pressure sensitive keyboards, all sizes

- 12 continuously rotatable knobs

- 12 sliders

- 12 buttons

- Or some version of a full or mostly full synth panel

- Multiple footswitch/pedal inputs

- Breath controller input

- mLAN

- POLYPHONIC PRESSURE SENSITIVE KEYBOARDS!!

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Bluetooth save to Mac/PC.

Fire wire.

Remote sattelite keyboard with FM MIDI transmitter (wireless) and rechargeable pack with charge level indicator.

VGA out with mirror view.

Keyboard version of Gorrilla Snot for ribbons.

Left hand tremelo bar-yes.

Glow in the dark keys.

Littlelite jack.

SD card.

No backside labels- I'm not selling, I'm playing.

Lightning active heatsink (no fan).

Easy hardware access.

Direct to monitor(s) XLR outs

Powerful headphone amp.

All/multi format reader.

Pong. Oh yeah, it has that..never mind.

-Chip

Archived