Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about switching to Logic Pro 6...grrrr

Sergievsky

After Studiovision got killed and I went to DP then getting PT (002R), the LAST thing I wanna do is learn another sequencer. But with the new Logic package those softsynths are very tempting. I have Atmosphere and Gigastudio, but my dual2gig G5 is extremely underutilized.

For those who made the switch, how long did it take to get a grasp of Logic? How easy is it to "track" the synths parts- am assuming real simple with the freeze tracks feature correct?

Anyway, if anyone has a dual2 gig G5 and logic maybe you can post how many synths, tracks, eqs etc it can do on a typical session.

Thanks!

Raul

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raul, I switched from DP3 a couple of years ago and it only took me a week to really get the hang of things in Logic; granted, Logic is such a potentially deep program that you never stop learning new things about it, but these days it's quite easy to set it up and get running quickly.

Logic6 has a Setup Assistant that runs the first time you launch the app and it will help you configure an environment based on your needs and current hardware - this takes much of the manual setup out of the way and makes the transition even smoother.

I'm still running it on my aging dual 533 and routinely run mixes of 40-60 tracks.

Raul,

Bleen's dead on. It took me a little less than a week to get familiar with it, and maybe a couple more weeks until I felt really comfortable. If you've gone through the process of switching before, it ought to be faster for you. The most unusual thing about Logic (for me, anyway) was the Environment. It's also probably the thing that makes Logic the most flexible/powerful overall. However, you really don't need to know too much about the Environment to hook up your gear and get going, particularly with the Setup Assistant. About all you'll need to learn is how to set up Audio objects, and deal with Audio Instruments and other objects you might need for soft synths/Rewire. That won't take you long at all.

I found a couple of books helpful and you might want to pick them up to speed up the process:

Logic Audio Workshop by Dave Bellingham

Logic Tips and Tricks by Len Sasso

There are other good books on Logic out there as well, but those were the two I found best.

Also, if you've got a dual 2 Gig G5, you will have plenty of horsepower. The last couple of months of SOS have had parts of the "Apple Notes" section dedicated to testing out the track/plug-in count of a 2 Gig G5. You should probably check those out. As I recall, they were able to get about 70 or 80 instances of Space Designer going before it crapped out. Track count was equally impressive.

Cheers and good luck!

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

There are several groups for Logic users at Yahoo groups, there are some very knowledgeable people there (including the aforementioned two authors). Len Sasso used to publish an environment tutorial, it's no longer active but much (all?) of its contents are still online at www.swiftkick.com . Len is the man if you want to get into doing sick, Max-like stuff with the environment; but if you're doing basic setup and run into trouble, that site may help you and may have editors for some of your synths that you can import as an environment layer and run from directly within Logic.

I initially had some trouble with Logic, but it was a hardware issue. I had an Opcode Studio 5 LX, a very bizarre beast of an interface that didn't like to work with non-Opcode products. As soon as I switched to another MIDI interface, everything worked like a charm.

I got up and running on Logic in about two days, but in that time I DID spend some time flipping through various chapters of the manual, and I DID work through the first couple of chapters of their Environment tutorial. Logic seemed a lot clearer and more straightforward to me than Cubase did - I was evaluating them concurrently.

About a week later, I ran into a Logic clinician at Manny's in New York. He spend about twenty minutes with me, and I learned a ton of cool tricks. Definitely schedule some time with a Logic user. That's the quickest way to learn. That and just banging away, trying things, getting ideas from the manual, etc.

Make a point to look through the list of available keyboard shortcuts and try as many as you can. Also, try out the screen sets which let you jump from page to page with the touch of a number key (or CTRL and two numbers for 11 throught 99).

Bleen is right. You'll never stop learning how to use Logic. The program constantly surprises me with new, cool features and short cuts, and I've used it for several years now.

P.S. Logic lets you customize the program to your needs. One trick that I learned early is how to replace Logic's pre-configured Environment with a streamlined version of my own. The Environment tutorial covers this, plus I posted some notes on it on the Frangioni forum a while back. All of those MIDI and audio tracks seemed confusing to me. I like to keep Environment objects to a minimum, just what I need for the current song, so I start with an almost empty Environment and add objects as I go. It helps me keep better track of my, um, tracks. ;) You may like the default set up, but the point is that you can change it if you don't. Just save the Autoload file to another name (or folder) and create your own. You can always switch back if you want to.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Raul,

Good move! I went to Logic from Studio Vision years ago, and found that the program was intuitive and inspiring to work with. You should pull down the preferences and look at the keyboard shortcuts; you can customize them as you go along.

Have fun! ;)

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I still don't like the interface of Logic, but it is by far the most powerful DAW out there, and it's integration of software instruments is second to none on the Mac.

I consider myself quite user interface savvy, but Logic threw me for a loop for about two weeks until they sent me this really short video. The guy in the video performed two or threee little actions that made it all click for me. The Bellingham book is also quite good for the basics, although the manuals are also very good.

I still use DP in parallel, and I think it's very well done, but as I said, Logic is definitely more powerful and, sadly, better implemented.

"For instance" is not proof.

There's also a new book, Logic 6 Power! by Orren Merton, one of the Logic Users Group mods, and an all-around nice chap. I'm biased because he's a good friend and I contributed to the book, but it's a great "missing manual" that really hits all the key points the Emagic manuals either miss or gloss over.

It also has real-world tips and applications for many of the topics covered.

alert>

thanks for all the tips. cool: I don't suppose they have any kind of crossgrade discounts, or is that asking? Also, would you gig (big venue concert) with it, playing a sequence and one of the synth/samp with a secondary keyboard? I know Panther is really stable, but still... :
Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

thanks for all the tips. cool: I don't suppose they have any kind of crossgrade discounts, or is that asking?

They did indeed have a crossgrade offer - I used my DP license when I made the switch. Maybe steadyb will wander along and tell you if that still applies with the release of LogicPro6.

Archived