Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AAAARRRRRRGHHH (re: DX-1)

zeronyne

The most beautiful DX-1 I have ever seen is up for auction.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/63/f0/62_1_sb.JPG

It's already way more than I can justify, and there's 6 days left.

ARRRRRRGH.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps you mean... the most beautiful picture of a DX1 around. :D

Jokes aside: This is one gorgeous synth. I've met one of the first ones at one of the Yamaha buildings in Tokyo almost 20 years ago, and it really is a showstopper. Later, a studio I had worked for bought one, and I started to hang there all the time, just to play it... :)

I think it's one of the most beautiful keyboards ever designed. Every time there's some "What's the best-looking synth" thing, my vote goes to the DX1.

That said, it's huge and heavy, spare parts are rare, and while FM programming on glowing hardware LEDs surely feels good, a computer editor or a softsynth are infinitely more efficient.

The keyboard also feels good, but no more than, say, a P120 keyboard.

I would be interested to buy just the front panel for cheap, to hang on my home studio wall... :D:D

To own a DX1 today, one must be rich, with a lot of space (and time) to waste.

Feel a little better now? :)

Could it be I'm losing my materialistic instincts? Nah I won't go that far. But after spending a good hour tonight exploring/ programming a sound in my recently acquired FM-7(first soft synth for me), this posted picture does nothing for me (slap slap-who said that?). I remember playing with the DX1 in Guitar Center Hollywood (before they moved) many years ago. It is nice looking - OK it is one of the coolest looking synths I've ever seen. But I'd be disappointed owning one after having programmed some of the more advanced models (FS1R) and now FM-7. I am totally digging FM-7 BTW. After using the matrix interface where you define your own algorithms as you develop the sound, there may be no turning back to even the FS1R. This thing makes it so hard to decide where to quit.I've got my sound where I'm ready to store it for the night. But.... what if I route this operator back to this one now? Wee-Ha. I just wish it were multitimbral or had some way of combining/slitting patches(voices) without openeing muilt instances.

I've read the description for that DX1 on sale, and it says, "It's missing the voice modules" - whatever that means. Then he says that it uses "DX7 cartridges, easily found on ebay", but later he mentiones that the instrument comes *with* "data cartridges"... To me, it sounds like he's (intentionally?) confusing the issue, calling "cartridges" the synth engine chips, or the memory chips. He says he's "not a musician"...

Not to be over-suspicious, but I feel there's a fair chance that this keyboard can't emit a peep in its present state. Of course, it's sold "as is". Mmmm...

I doubt it's that bad. The DX series had internal ROM, and I do remember more than one retailer using the word "module" to refer to those ROM and RAM cartridges. The cartridges are the same as the DX7, and the DX1 had two slots.

So, if memory serves, the DX1 was the guts of two DX7's with a few more bells and whistles and a nice weighted keyboard, later to be found on the KX88 controller. Yamaha historians feel free to set me straight here.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Yeah, that would make a nice master controller. Some more pics:

http://rollerator.freewebspace.com/cgi-bin/i/images/rsdx1pic1.1.jpg

http://rollerator.freewebspace.com/cgi-bin/i/images/rsdx1pic2.jpg

If you've never poked around in that guy's web space before, I recommend it. Lots of great synth pics in there, and a studio to die for.

The DX1 is a thing of beauty! Even after having owned about a dozen Kurzweils since then (not at the same time), I'm still as in love with my original DX7 as the day I bought it (in 1987)...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

The "All Things Scottish" store owner from SNL (Mike Meyers character) describing the DX7, DX5, and DX1, respectively:

"We goat three sieezes: wee, no so wee, an' FREAKIN' HUGE!"

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Oops, double post.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

• 1 month later...

Now if Native Instruments can update FM and have a huge seller, WHY oh WHY oh WHY won't/can't Yamaha release an updated FM synth?!?! And I mean one with a DX-1/DX-programmer type interface, *NOT* the abysmally bad interface of the FS1R?!?!

WHY NOT?!?!?!?

Originally posted by swandiver:

Now if Native Instruments can update FM and have a huge seller, WHY oh WHY oh WHY won't/can't Yamaha release an updated FM synth?!?! And I mean one with a DX-1/DX-programmer type interface, *NOT* the abysmally bad interface of the FS1R?!?!

WHY NOT?!?!?!?

The reason NI is selling so many FM-7's is because of the PRICE ($200) and because they nailed it right out of the gate! Ditto with the B-4 organ (also $200) With the native power available in today's computers, and companies like NI producing stuff like this, what is there to think about?

This way, no, wait, that way!

Archived