Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Immanent successor to Roland RD-700?

Chaso DeChaso

I just noticed on the Zzounds website that the Roland RD-700 inventory is listed as "only 3 left". A similar message was my first clue that the RD-150 was being replaced (by the RD-170) when I was considering that keyboard before deciding on the RD-700. Consequently I am wondering whether the RD-700 may be updated soon. Obviously no replacement was released at Winter NAMM so I am wondering whether one is in store for Summer NAMM. Any insider knowledge or speculations? For the last month or so I have been poised to purchase the RD-700 and normally I am not one of those people who needs to have the "latest thing" but for me this one purchase would be IT for many years so I guess it really counts. I find nothing wrong with the RD-700 and would be perfectly happy with it as far as I can see but, as I say, since this will be my ONE BIG PURCHASE for years and years to come (unlike you guys who have these amazing rigs), I am thinking of waiting it out just a little longer... Any advice?

Chaso

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my RD-700 about 2 and a half years ago and I'm still totally delighted with it. That says a lot about an instrument. If you can get it cheaper than $1499 (which is what I paid for mine new), you're getting a great instrument. Don't worry about a possible RD-800.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I love my Rd 700. It is a killer keyboard- so easy to use, great piano feel.

I kinda wish Roland would have installed a smart

card slot. That's a minor quibble.

I can hardly wait to midi the Fantom XR module to it.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging responses. I was also thinking the "only three left" thing might be a trick to get me to say "OH NO, better get one right this minute!" but I did also watch Sam Ash get rid of their FP-3C stock with a similar warning before there was news of the FP-3 replacement (the FP-2).

How did you guys get your RD-700's so cheap? I can't find it anywhere for less than $1800.

Also, what SRX cards do you guys have, if any - and how do you like them?

Chaso

Originally posted by Chaso DeChaso:

How did you guys get your RD-700's so cheap? I can't find it anywhere for less than $1800.

Also, what SRX cards do you guys have, if any - and how do you like them?

Chaso

Music Center, Kenosha, WI. The web site doesn't publish the "good" prices. You gotta call. Ask for Tom Merritt.

I've got the Symphonic String card. Great for live use, a little grainy for recording. Do a search--we've covered this topic before.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Hehe. My English teacher self can't resist. Imminent is the word you want. Immanent is a perfectly good if somewhat obscure word, but it doesn't mean "about to happen." It means in-dwelling, and is usually used in reference to a deity, e.g., an immanent God who dwells in all creatures and things as opposed to a transcendent God who hangs out only in his big vault in the sky.

So an immanent successor to the RD-700 would be the "keyboard" that "dwells within," ;)

Carry on...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I bought one about 4 months ago for $1100.. a (total steal I know! I have a friend who works at GC, it was used, but had been sold new 3 months prior and traded back in for a Triton) am absolutely thrilled with it.

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Dang, you guys with the steals are killing me. I paid USD 1660 for mine! Of course, I got my Electro for USD 1150, so it's all good.

I absolutely love the RD-700. I just wish they made a 76-key model.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Another RD700 lover here. I've had mine for well over a year as well. I'd buy another without any hesitation if something happened to the one I have.

I got mine from Grandma's in Albuquerque. Ask for Matt, drop my name if you'd like. I paid lots less than $1800.

I have the SRX07 Ultimate Keys card for my RD-700. It's a good sounding card, but I wouldn't recommend it for the RD. The RD's EPs are serviceable, so this only adds some synth sounds. I am somewhat interested in the SRX02 Piano card, but The RD's piano is nice and I'm worried that it too would be a redundancy.
David

I got mine new for around $1460 when it first came out, can't remember where now, but it was from a place that I found on the web that beats any advertised price.

I love both the sounds and the feel. The only problem I've had is some keys sometimes develop resistance out of nowhere, then they suddenly lose it again. I've opened it up about a dozen times and never found anything unusual in the key assembly. Right now the keys are perfect, but in the next gig, the middle C might feel like it has a cigarette stuck in there somewhere . . . it's really weird, has anybody else had this problem ? ? ?

Otherwise I can't complain. Hard to imagine a better keyboard for my needs.

Hey ChaSo, I have the SRX 02 Contemporary Piano,

SRX 04 ( ? ) Studio and SRX 07 Ultimate Keys.

I did a brief review of them on Irish Acts , General Music.

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks for the responses, everyone (except for the one on the spelling/usage error!!...D'oh!).

I actually have read every archived post on the RD-700 and SRX cards (as well as on just about every Roland...and Alesis...and Kurzweil...this site is invaluable!) but I am happy that some were willing to rehash the topic.

It seems at least two of you have the SRX-07 so I have a very specific question: Can you tell me what Patch #80 "Tenamos L100" sounds like? I am wondering if this is a reference to a sound Dave Stewart may have used on the National Health song "Tenemos [sic] Roads". I'm not sure whether he used a Hammond L100 on that one or not but that would make it all make sense unless I am way off on this whole scenario.

Also, is there any patch onboard or on a card that has a halfway decent soprano sax sound? The ideal to me would be something where perhaps by velocity switching one could achieve the false upper register screaming sound - like the way Steve Grossman and Dave Liebman played with Miles on the early fusion recordings using post-Coltrane multiphonics and out-of-register playing. But this is asking a lot. Maybe I should just take up soprano as a second instrument (which I am honestly considering)!

Chaso

yeah, that patch is a Hammond organ sound, one of dozens on the SRX 07. I am not familiar with the Dave Stewart tune.

E291, Cool Sax is worth a try. On the Studio SRX, there are 2 saxes , 095 & 096.

I think I know what you are looking for, that sounds like a tough instrument to pull off.

When I get my Triton Extreme, I'll try using the Valve effects to make the sax scream

[70's Songwriter]

Archived