Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Has DVD-Audio gone to the great gig in the sky?

Odyssian

What a bummer...some of my bookmarks for DVD-Audio message boards no longer work. The websites that do work haven't been updated in a long time. I can't even find a "New Release" webpage for DVD-A discs anywhere.

What a shame for such a great format to disappear.

I blame the industry for this, not the format. :(

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a decent new title on DVD-A in the longest time...recently, there's been this wave of bad old bootleg stuff, but that's about it.

OTOH, it seems as if there's new SA-CD titles every week.

I'm really surprised by this - I figured that the fact that many people already have DVD players would have given DVD-A the edge.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That's exactly what I was thinking too, Dave. Anyone with a DVD video player and a Dolby 5.1 setup can listen to DVD-Audio discs' Dolby 5.1 surround track. Most all of the DVD-Audio discs have them, and they sound great too.

There are just so many aspects of the format's introduction and promotion that could have been handled much better.

Originally posted by Odyssian:

There are just so many aspects of the format's introduction and promotion that could have been handled much better.

Fully agreed. :thu:

Hey, at least I've got a bunch of 'em, and my DVD player should be a valid part of my system for a while... ;)

(Homer Simpson's voice "Fragile"...Nightfly"..."Brain Salad Surgery"...mmmmmmmm :D

dB

Could this be a case of "ever other technological update fails to make it" syndrome? Just like mini-disk and the large laser video disk. I really had hopes for the LVD's and have about 300 of then thanks the the Columbia Video Club carrying them for a while. I still prefer them to DvD's because they do not use compression.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

And I always assumed that DVD-A was a doomed format because you couldn't play them in a CD Player. At least most SACDs are now hybrid format so they play in the CD player in my car.

I've stopped buying SACDs, though. Two things happened: I got an iPod and a digital mixer. So now I can't play SACDs in the studio anymore (well, I could but what's the point) and I buy most of my music on iTunes anyway.

Don't worry: SACD is a Sony format so it will be dead before long. Those guys are the touch of death when it comes to new consumer formats: betamax, minidisc, DAT, SACD, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Thanks for the link, bleen! I just ordered it.

:thu::)

Me, too.

I've never heard any of their stuff, but I've been told more than once that I'd dig 'em.

Always into new tunes... :cool:

dB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys (and gals?),

I just read in this month's Sound and Vision magazine that they are developing a dual CD/DVD-audio disc format. Just flip the disc to get whatever format you want to play.

This might be just the thing to save DVD-Audio. Let's hope so anyway. It's such a fantastic sounding format, and I'm STILL waiting on Yes' Close to the Edge to be released!!! :evil:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Thanks for the link, bleen! I just ordered it.

:thu::)

Me, too.

I've never heard any of their stuff, but I've been told more than once that I'd dig 'em.

Always into new tunes... :cool:

dB

If you dig PT, check into Ozric Tentacles as well.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Speaking of titles I never thought wouldf come out in surround, sources in the know have told me that the 5.1 mix of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is almost finished, and is due out this summer. Rutherford and Banks are supposedly involved with the project. :thu:

I believe it's gonna be an SACD, though...

dB

Hey Dave, that's very cool, but I seem to recall reading that that the company that is releasing Lamb doesn't have such a great track record (hey, a double-pun! :) )I'll still order the disc though. Can't wait to hear it! Do you have any current discs by them (I think it was Silverline?)?

Bleen, I got my Porcupine Tree copy too (the jewel case was cracked though :cry: ). While it has a nice overall sound, I found the bass to be lacking a little. I had to turn up my sub channel a bit. I also wish that the keys were a little more prevalent, given the style. These are minor qualms, I know... Overall, it was a very good listen. It will be in my regularly-played disc pile. Thanks for the tip!

Bleen, I got my Porcupine Tree copy too (the jewel case was cracked though :cry: ). While it has a nice overall sound, I found the bass to be lacking a little. I had to turn up my sub channel a bit. I also wish that the keys were a little more prevalent, given the style. These are minor qualms, I know... Overall, it was a very good listen. It will be in my regularly-played disc pile. Thanks for the tip!

I agree that the bass was a bit shy, particularly compared to the 24-bit PCM stereo mix on the disc. But, overall, I think Elliot Schiener did quite a tasteful surround mix that doesn't suffer from the hypersquashed mastering of the original CD.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Speaking of titles I never thought wouldf come out in surround, sources in the know have told me that the 5.1 mix of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is almost finished, and is due out this summer. Rutherford and Banks are supposedly involved with the project. :thu:

I believe it's gonna be an SACD, though...

dB

I guess I'll just have to buy another version of The Lamb.

Originally posted by bleen:

I agree that the bass was a bit shy, particularly compared to the 24-bit PCM stereo mix on the disc. But, overall, I think Elliot Schiener did quite a tasteful surround mix that doesn't suffer from the hypersquashed mastering of the original CD.
Oh yes...the surround mix was fantastic. :thu: I was just being my usual, overly picky self. heheh. I'll have to try the 2 ch mix on my next listen. Thanks again.

Originally posted by synthetic:

And I always assumed that DVD-A was a doomed format because you couldn't play them in a CD Player. At least most SACDs are now hybrid format so they play in the CD player in my car.

I've stopped buying SACDs, though. Two things happened: I got an iPod and a digital mixer. So now I can't play SACDs in the studio anymore (well, I could but what's the point) and I buy most of my music on iTunes anyway.

Don't worry: SACD is a Sony format so it will be dead before long. Those guys are the touch of death when it comes to new consumer formats: betamax, minidisc, DAT, SACD, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Well, there's CD's. Altouhg Sony didn't invent it, they are the ones that made it work. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by bleen:

I haven't got the original, so I have no point of reference. I've only listened to the disc once, and was too busy checking out the music to notice if it was bass light.

I did notice that the mix was really clean. I liked it...

Odyssian, I don't think I have any Silverline titles. What else have they done?

dB

They have a website here:

http://www.silverlinerecords.com/

Ah, yes - the company doing those awful "From the Front Line" DVD-As.

I have the Rick Wakeman one. It sucks royally - really poorly recorded, like a bad bootleg (which is basically what it was). I thought it was a total waste of cash and probably would never buy another one. :(

dB

• 2 weeks later...

Archived