Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finger drumming?

aliengroover

A couple of years ago there was an article on Walter Afanasief with a sidebar tutorial on finger drumming. While I'm an MPC guy when it comes to drums, I've only recently begun hearing more about it, and it seems, at least, to be a more "natural" solution for doing drums on keys, than how it's typically done.

Anyone on here "mastered" this technique, or implement it often?

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
highly recommended. Every musician should develop this technique. the Handsonic is great - but you can get really good on a regular keyboard too. I have lots of controllers, and find myself often playing (for ex) hand drum parts on a keyboard just because I have gotten good at it. The great thing about this technique is that it is for everybody and you can practice it anywhere and all the time. a brief overview of Indian hand/finger drumming technique is useful.
Ed Mann

I also prefer using a keyboard over any sort of pad for sequencing drums. The one thing that I try to do is reverse the order of the toms, so as you ascend the keyboard, you go down in pitch. Sometimes, if I really want to do it in one pass, I'll assign the closed and open hats to C# and D# repsectively, with kick on C and snare on D and E. This really tightens up the playing, and you can really use a modified version of the Walter A. technique...although he's a frickin' madman on keyboard drums.

"For instance" is not proof.

I've been surprised recently what a wicked sound u can get out of key drumming - just been recording bits on a Roland XV88 with the drum expansion loaded.

It suddenly occured to me though, there's probably way better kits out there too. What samples are you guys using? Soft libraries?

I'll rock, you roll.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I'll assign the closed and open hats to C# and D# repsectively, with kick on C and snare on D and E.

You must be a Triton owner. I also like the kick on C and the snares on D and E. The hats tend to be assigned to G# and A# though.

Originally posted by Jimmy j'ym Ghym:

It suddenly occured to me though, there's probably way better kits out there too. What samples are you guys using? Soft libraries?

I have a mixture of "custom" drums/percussion (my own and those of people I know) and many from sample libraries. My circle of programmers and I all toss around sounds we've made, culled from live sources and the processing of "stock" sounds from keyboards/modules. Future Music is a great source for drum samples, too. They come out with drum centered CDs often. I have a ton from them. There are a ton of sounds everywhere, it's just weeding through the garbage, and knowing what you're looking for.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I hate drumming on a keyboard. I have pads on my Fantom but go figure I don't use them! I don't like their response. So I (attempt to) use the keys. I've got some fun stuff holding down multiple keys with an arpeggiator in 1/24 for some wicked fast "drumming". But I do try to get a beat going, but I suck.

Archived