Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie questions - keyboard, vendor recommendations?

Bob331

My 11-year-old daughter has been studying piano for a year, using an inexpensive Casio 49-key keyboard. I'd like to start studying as well (I actually took 2 years of lessons about 20 years ago) and would like to buy an 88-key digital piano that both of us could use. I'm told that I would get better value with a digital piano than an electric keyboard.

Any independent buying guides + reviews that I could consult as to types, brands, etc?

Is is OK to buy from an online vendor, as opposed to the local music store? If so, any recommendations for reliable vendors?

Thanks.

Bob

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bob331:

Is is OK to buy from an online vendor, as opposed to the local music store?

That depends...

If you are planning on going to a local shop to try out different instruments/talk to salespeople, I firmly believe that you should then strongly consider giving them your business.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

If you are planning on going to a local shop to try out different instruments/talk to salespeople, I firmly believe that you should then strongly consider giving them your business.

dB

Yes, I agree.

I can spend $1,000 - $1,500. I'd rather spend some money now than have to upgrade 6 months later.

Originally posted by Bob331:

I can spend $1,000 - $1,500. I'd rather spend some money now than have to upgrade 6 months later.

I just hooked my best friend up with a Yamaha P120 digital piano...he's delighted with it. Great sound, great feel.

Yamaha's got a pretty decent handle on making pianos. ;):thu:

dB

Archived