Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why doesnt a keyboard sound good going through a Hi Fi stereo system?

alby

As stated in my previous post, I have just bought a Yamaha P90 keyboard a few weeks ago. I am running it through a Peavey KB300, with some success, but with some lack of clarity in the higher frequency. (The upper registers is missing some brightness.)

Petros has rightly pointed out that the problem lies in the KB300, and its lack of a flat frequency response. So I tried last night running the P90 through my NAD amp, and a couple of Yamaha speakers. Granted the stereo system is not exactly high end, but CD's played through it sound quite good. However, the stereo really did not sound any better than the KB300, even at lower volumes.

I have tried running keyboards through a Hi Fi stereo system before, and never got great results.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Alby

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It helps if the HiFi has a tight low end. Not thumpy, not muddy, just tight. This requires an amp with a good damping factor. I've also noticed that a cheap 20-watt peavey guitar amp might sound better than a reasonably good stereo when it comes to playing an instrument through it...

I run DX7 family synths through a Crown D150 amp with a pair of Phase Linear RSIIIb speakers, sounds good. Kicks ass for playing CDs through as well!

You do have to make sure to match the levels. If your synth puts out a low-level signal, you might have to get it boosted to line-level with a preamp.

"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

Most speakers "color" sound. That's why reference monitors are a better investment for home studios.

Monitors play back at the tone and frequency of their source and are not (supposed to) add any touches or flourish.

I love listening to cds through my monitors because you can definitely hear what the engineer was trying to acheive and learn more about mixing.

Originally posted by Raymar:

My keyboards sound fine through my stereo and it isn't anything special. I do run them through my Mackie 1202 first though.

The electronics in a hi-fi stereo is not designed for musical amplification purposes. It's designed for properly mastered and limited audio. Something to look out for in particular: You can easily blow your speakers because a keyboard has no circuitry to limit its dynamic range. The keyboard's low end will push your cones like no audio recording ever will even at moderate volume levels. Also, you can easily kill your tweeters. The coils in speakers used for musical instrument amps are more suited for the kind of dynamic response you get with musical instruments.

You'll probably be alright if you keep the volume low or keep the tone controls turned down.

~Peter Schouten

Pyramid Sounds Productions

You can easily blow your speakers because a keyboard has no circuitry to limit its dynamic range. The keyboard's low end will push your cones like no audio recording ever will even at moderate volume levels. Also, you can easily kill your tweeters. The coils in speakers used for musical instrument amps are more suited for the kind of dynamic response you get with musical instruments.

All too true! They haven't damaged my speakers but I wouldn't attmept this on an expensive high end stereo.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

All the keyboards I've ran thru my home stereo sounds awesome. Play around with the volume controls. Start with your keyboard volume at 0 (zero) and the stereo volume at 50%. Slowly increase keyboard volume until you get the sound you want. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

It also depends on how good does your hiFi system receives a signal.

The most of those systems are designed to get a PHONO level signal (just as a turntable for DJs) and NOT a LINE level signal.

It's maybe distorting your signal because of this.

And Yes, you might kill your speakers because of the uncontrolled dynamic range.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived