Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what basic keyboard to buy? a humble appeal from a bass player/composer

mattswan

Hey again:

So, I think my last posting got taken down, probably because I couldn't make it to a computer in the last couple of days to reply to a question posed to me...

So, anyway, I thought I'd post again, this time giving some more information about what I'm up to... I was hoping to ask you keyboard players for advice on buying a new keyboard (i.e., suggested models, or at least features to look for). I'm a bass player (upright mostly, some electric), so this world of keyboards and processors and synths is all new to me. I'm looking for something basic, but solid, and with potential for more advanced uses. I'm a composer, just graduated from college - my writing interests are fairly diverse, though I've concentrated on classical (chamber music and one orchestral piece) and jazz up until now (I'm mostly a jazz performer). So, I'm looking to invest in a solid keyboard for under $1000 which I could use to help me write - eventually I'd like to get myself hooked up to a computer setup, with notation software and, I hope, ProTools, so that I can branch out into electronic music, and also music editing (I like to write songs some, as well, though I'm not much of a singer or guitar player). So, I'm looking for a versatile set of keys - not too advanced, as I'm a beginner with this technology, though with some potential for advancement.

Anyway, I'm clueless - I'm working at trying to understand the vocabulary of keyboards, but I'm used to pianos and these dinky little keyboards they had in the music lab at my school. I was hoping you folks could help me figure out how to go about this search, and if you have any recs.

Thanks again. And I'll try to be more vigilant about replying if you have any more questions for me...

-Matt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mattswan:

Hey again:

So, I think my last posting got taken down, probably because I couldn't make it to a computer in the last couple of days to reply to a question posed to me...

I don't take posts down unless they're spam.

Your original post is on page two now...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by mattswan:

Hey again:

So, anyway, I thought I'd post again, this time giving some more information about what I'm up to... I was hoping to ask you keyboard players for advice on buying a new keyboard (i.e., suggested models, or at least features to look for). I'm a bass player (upright mostly, some electric), so this world of keyboards and processors and synths is all new to me. I'm looking for something basic, but solid, and with potential for more advanced uses. I'm a composer, just graduated from college - my writing interests are fairly diverse, though I've concentrated on classical (chamber music and one orchestral piece) and jazz up until now (I'm mostly a jazz performer). So, I'm looking to invest in a solid keyboard for under $1000 which I could use to help me write - eventually I'd like to get myself hooked up to a computer setup, with notation software and, I hope, ProTools, so that I can branch out into electronic music, and also music editing (I like to write songs some, as well, though I'm not much of a singer or guitar player). So, I'm looking for a versatile set of keys - not too advanced, as I'm a beginner with this technology, though with some potential for advancement.

Anyway, I'm clueless - I'm working at trying to understand the vocabulary of keyboards, but I'm used to pianos and these dinky little keyboards they had in the music lab at my school. I was hoping you folks could help me figure out how to go about this search, and if you have any recs.

Thanks again. And I'll try to be more vigilant about replying if you have any more questions for me...

-Matt

Do you play keyboard at a reasonable level?

If not, you can probably get buy with computer, sequencing software and a soft synth and a cheap external keyboard like a "PSR" for entering parts.

If you can actually play a keyboard you will find parts entered by playing are generally more life-like than parts moused in.

If composing is what you want to do I would start with a computer and tools.

Archived